• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

McNaughton Coring Knives

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have acquired a McNaughton Center Saver set up with an odd group of knives. For the size of bowls I expect to core, I would like to add a Standard Medium tight curve (have the tight curve) and a Mini tight curve. If you have these and don't need them, please let me know and we'll work something out. Thanks for your consideration.

Dean Center
kadmcenter@yahoo.com

That's a little unclear to me. The points on the knives are wedge shaped, the turret has posts for all 4 sizes, the box has an adjustable bar to restrict downward movement in the handle. Best guess is that it's a recent but not current set up. I think. Maybe.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
The old style knives are thicker steel and won't fit in the newer gate. It sounds like you have the newer style if it has a box shaped trap behind the turret. The old style has a T shaped trap. I don't know if the old style blades have a square or pointed nose.

I currently have a set of mini knives on back order at Craft Supplies and they keep moving the expected availability date. I am about ready to cancel the order if they change the date one more time.

The knives I have are 0.23" thick for standard and 0.24" thick for the large/jumbo. I believe from prior threads that this makes them the thicker and older ones. I'm guessing that it's older than the Mark 8 and newer than the T gate edition.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
That's a little unclear to me. The points on the knives are wedge shaped, the turret has posts for all 4 sizes, the box has an adjustable bar to restrict downward movement in the handle. Best guess is that it's a recent but not current set up. I think. Maybe.

The knives I have are 0.23" thick for standard and 0.24" thick for the large/jumbo. I believe from prior threads that this makes them the thicker and older ones. I'm guessing that it's older than the Mark 8 and newer than the T gate edition.

I believe that you have an early version of the Mark 8 system. The original system had the T trap at the back of the gate and only had four posts to accommodate the large*, medium, and mini blades (but not the micro blades). I think that the blades were thicker than the measurements you gave. I'm fairly certain that the early Mark 8 system is the way that you describe your system with the adjustable bar in the square trap. Mine is the latest iteration of the Mark 8 that doesn't have the adjustable bar in the trap. I wish that mine had the adjustable bar except that it probably makes it more cumbersome to remove the blade. I will measure the thickness of the blades again, but I think mine are the same thickness as your blades.

* Craft Supplies refers to the large set as the Jumbo set, but that is strictly their own terminology. McNaughton and the rest of the world uses the name Large. Another little tidbit is that each set is supposed to include a straight blade, but Craft Supplies repackages the sets and sells the straight blades separately. I think that the prices have recently changed, but up until recently you could buy the blade sets at Lee Valley/Veritas for a lot less than the Craft Supplies prices and that included the straight blades.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back