• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Mark Baker

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
It is with great sadness that I have to tell you that Mark lost his courageous battle with cancer last night. I will never forget his farewell call a few months ago. Hold on a moment Mark, what are you telling me? He was cheerful and in good spirits, he told me, I'm doing better than you, I'm ok with it. I was devastated, and with a superhuman effort I snapped out of it and we had a nice conversation. I will always be grateful to Mark, he took a chance with me, I had been published several times before, but never worked full time for a magazine with worldwide distribution. I will miss his well after midnight calls from London, his guidance, his ideas, the editor's challenge, the encouragement, the mentorship. His last words to me were, thank you, I knew were ready to rise to the challenge, and I was not wrong. A hui ho Mark. (till we meet again)

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I am saddened to hear of Marks passing. He left a mark on the woodturning community.
I got to meet Mark when we led an intimate critique at symposium. Mark’s enthusiasm, shared insights, critical eye, and positive attitude made the event a success for all the participants. That is just one small example of Mark making the world a better place. Thank you Mark, Rest In Peace.

Last edited:

Donna Banfield

TOTW Team
I first met Mark at the AAW Symposium in Tampa, FL in 2013. A bunch of us headed to a seafood restaurant on the harbor. He ate Sushi; I did not.

I shared with him a story - in 2006, my 12 year old nephew flew out from Michigan and spent a week with me during his summer vacation. Among the things we did, I showed him how to turn, and we made a Harry Potter Wizard Wand. He asked me if I had ever turned a chess set. I asked him if he played. He responded, Yes, with his Dad (my brother-in-law). I asked him if he ever beat his Dad. Not yet, was his reply. "Well, when you beat your Dad, I'll make you a chess set."

He beat his Dad within a year. It took me several years before I found a design that was unique and unusual, and it was in an article in Mark's publication, Woodturning, a 2-part series. The chess set was based on figures that were found in a cave (I'm going from memory now) off the coast of Ireland, and believed to date from the 12th century. According to the article, some of the designs that appeared in the second Harry Potter movie, were based on these figures (Wizard's chess). Of course I had to make the chess set that was clearly set out in that 2-part article. It was the first and only chess set I ever made. I called my nephew a little s&*t for beating his Dad so soon. Mark agreed with me :)

Mark and I touched base regularly whenever we were at a Symposium, and frequently emailed each other. The last time we spoke, in Raleigh, NC at the Symposium, he was in remission. He loved to fish; I promised to take him fly fishing for Salmon in Alaska, and he promised to take me fly fishing in England. He leaves a large void in the woodturning community, and in my heart.

Like so many of us in the Woodturning community I have memories of meeting Mark and how encouraging he was to my efforts. My last meeting was at AAW Atlanta and Mark was very interested in what I was working on and encouraged me to submit photo to the magazine. Well, I blew up that spalted maple bowl but knew I had plenty of time to submit photos of a replacement once I found an acceptable blank. Finally found the right blank about the time Mark made his announcement of his diagnosis in the magazine. I hurriedly finished the bowl and sent an email to Mark. I received a response from his office that he was not working but was still communicating with the magazines office and that I should send photos of the bowl. I did.
Our community has suffered a great loss. A lesson I have learned with friends and family, “don’t think you have time to do........”

Although I never had an opportunity to meet Mark, he made a tremendous impact on my turning. I have several books written by Mark and I have every issue of the Woodturning magazine from August of 2014. I am continuously looking through either the books or magazines for project ideas and information. These books and magazines have been my main source of information and such an influence on my turning. I have learned so much from Mark Baker without ever meeting him. Mark will always be an influence in my turnings and he will be greatly missed. RIP mister Mark Baker and we will meet one day in the future.

Back