• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Manzanita - How to dry with no cracking

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your suggestions a while back. I did hear a new one earlier today from a guy who was an old time woodworker and looked as "old as dirt..."

He said that you need to cut the manzanita and place it into a salt water (with alot of salt in it) bath for 2-3 weeks making sure that the wood it immersed for the whole time. Then you remove it and rinse off the salt water and scrub the wood. The place the manzanita into a plastic bag and dry it slowly...

I'll give it a try, and if there is anyone who might have heard of this, or any other method for preventing manzanita please give me a shout!

Thanks!:D

Brad Glasse
Grass Valley, CA
530-273-0568

Interesting suggestion on the salt water. I live in the mts east of San Diego and I have a lot of Manzanita that we have had to cut. As noted it splits with in days of the cutting. I will try the salt when I cut some of the big stuff.
(it also is a great wood for smoking if you have to throw it away:(
Marshall

Yep, I have....

numerous "suggestions" on how to keep it from Cracking...

I'm going to run an "experiment" to see what happens on a number of these different methods, but if anyone else has some suggestions on how to keep Manzanita from cracking I'd appreciate it!

Brad Glasse
Grass Valley, CA
530-273-0568

Back