• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Mandrel Size Info?

I’ve got a Nova 16-24 lathe and have made several bowls along with a couple spindles, so bottom line is that I’m pretty much a newbie. I want to turn a few pens for gifts and have a question about mandrels. I got a batch of fairly basic “slimline” pen kits from Amazon that require 7mm drill bit, mandrel, etc. Are mandrels for pen turning all various sizes like the drill bits, or does one size pretty much fit all? The pen kits in got indicate that I need a 7mm drill and a 7mm mandrel. What about if in the future I get pen kits that use something other than 7mm tubes - do I need yet another mandrel, or just a different set of bushings?

Thanks, Jim

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Most pen kits call out bushings to fit the A size (7 mm) mandrel. There is also a B size mandrel, but I think that it might be on the endangered species list. You might also consider bushings that are designed to be used without a mandrel although for a beginner using a mandrel is easier. I would recommend getting a special live center designed for use with a pen mandrel. A regular live center can sometimes cause the andrel to bow from too much tailstock pressure. The special pen live center reduces the problem by not putting any pressure on the mandrel.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I don't make many pens but I use the same 1/4" pen mandrel for everything and then buy the right size pen bushings to do the different pens. So far I have never needed anything but the 1/4" pen mandrel. I still use my normal live center but try to put just the minimum pressure on it each time. Again I don't make a lot of pens so maybe I won't ever wear it out or bend it.

Bill and John - thanks for the replies. Sounds like one single mandrel and a couple different bushings ought to get me started. Much appreciated.

Regards, Jim

Back