• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Making your own Beading Tools

How would one form your own beading tools of various radius sizes from HSS stock? Is there various radius grinding stones out there? Sources?

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I have made beading tools.from screwdrivers. Anneal.the tip buy heating it red hot until.its non magnetic. Let it cool naturally. Then youncan usena round file to shape it. Then heat it cherry red until.its non magnetic a d quench it water. Polish it with sandpaper and then heat it gently until it's a light straw color. Quench it again in water. Now you have a usable tool.

With this type of grinding wheel you can shape the outside with a diamond hone so that you can turn it into a beading grinder. ttps://www.amazon.com/Dremel-Aluminum-Oxide-Grinding-Stone/dp/B000GAX97K/ref=sr_1_92?dchild=1&keywords=dremel+grinding+stones&qid=1615208434&sr=8-92

Last edited:
I anneal, harden and temper as John states, however, I drill a hole thru the blade at what I think is a good scraper angle, then grind back from the tip so a little less than half the hole remains, then grind the sides to form the spurs.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I anneal, harden and temper as John states, however, I drill a hole thru the blade at what I think is a good scraper angle, then grind back from the tip so a little less than half the hole remains, then grind the sides to form the spurs.
Yes I have done the same thing but just forgot. That is a very good way to get a precise size.

Back