• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Maintaining the MultiStar revolving center

I am a fan of the MultiStar Super 32 live center that I bought from The Sanding Glove some years back. I like a revolving center with multiple tips. I'd burned out an Apprentice one some years ago and tried the MultiStar as it purported infinite life since the bearings could be changed. I believe the same applies to the other MultiStar live centers, but am not sure.

The Sanding Glove dropped the line a couple of years ago, and I wondered about that. Apparently lack of supply. I now see that Peter Child in the UK has also dropped it and a German company claims to sell it soon, but not yet. I assume that the original corporation had troubles, despite a fine product.

So I bit the bullet and took mine apart. I'm not a machinist but I do know how to remove a retaining ring with "pin pliers". Inside the body of the center I found three bearing races each with the code 6001Z. A Google of that designation gave me sources for the bearings, but my curiosity is endless so I researched the nature of the coding. Bearings are coded with a 7 digit number, but lead zeros are left out. For some reason the standard counts backwards, the "first digit" is the last (actually quite logical since it matches the "units" digit of our counting system). The 01 defines the ID of the bearing as 12mm (which matched my measurement with my calipers of 11.97mm). There was nothing in the coding to indicate the OD of the bearing, the third and fourth digits (the 60) designate the type of bearing. A bit more Googling and I found that the OD is in a standard pattern to the ID, as is the width. It also seems that the worldwide standards are metric, there are few makers of Imperial (inches) bearings even in the US. Remember that the bearing is internal to the device and can be of any standard it wants to be - except in the case where it is DIY replaceable, as the MultiStar is.

I am going to place an order on Amazon from one or another of their advertised 6001Z bearings (advertised for specific products, but now I know the 6001Z is uniform). I will order three 6001Z bearings at about 5 bucks apiece and put them in reserve so that if my Super 32 dies I can bring it back to life.

This isn't limited to the M/S Super 32, it can apply to any things involving bearings on our lathes. My brief research tells me that the markings on the bearings aren't brand specific, they are an international standard code (except that last letter).

Best, Jon

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
'Take a look at page 22 of the Sanding Glove catalog. Approximately seven years ago I bought the MultiStar Super 32 and it was the last one they had in stock. They said the problem was that the company was sold to a new owner and it took quite a while for the new owner to get their act together so there was a couple years that they were not available in the US. However, hey have been available at the Sanding Glove for the last four or five years.

I really like my MultiStar live center. Its small size is great for up close work. I haven't looked at mine to see how to remove the bearings, but with the right tools it shouldn't be a hill for a stepper.

I just noticed the date on their "latest" catalog is 2013 so my information may be yesterday's news.

A bit more Googling and I found that the OD is in a standard pattern to the ID, as is the width. It also seems that the worldwide standards are metric, there are few makers of Imperial (inches) bearings even in the US. Remember that the bearing is internal to the device and can be of any standard it wants to be - except in the case where it is DIY replaceable, as the MultiStar is.

I am going to place an order on Amazon from one or another of their advertised 6001Z bearings (advertised for specific products, but now I know the 6001Z is uniform). I will order three 6001Z bearings at about 5 bucks apiece and put them in reserve so that if my Super 32 dies I can bring it back to life.

This isn't limited to the M/S Super 32, it can apply to any things involving bearings on our lathes. My brief research tells me that the markings on the bearings aren't brand specific, they are an international standard code (except that last letter).

Best, Jon

Thanks for the info on bearings. I just replaced a bearing on my BS and that was my last spare. Cost from Grizzley was 750 each thus 7 shipping and found on Amazon 8 for 7.95. Never thought to look at Amazon.

Jon, so true, I'm lucky enough to have a bearing supply house close by. I pay a little more then amazon but a lot less then from the dealer. Sometimes it's nice to talk to the guys behind the counter. I let them know I'm not a machinist, mechanic, nor one of their big sales of the day, I get information, bearings, and sometimes we talk woodturning and I get an even better price. I've rebuilt a few of the OneWays, easy peasy, and a lot cheaper then sending it over the border...
rebuild

Here are the parts and pieces, shop made spanner and snap ring pliers are quite useful.
Not sure I would attempt without.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Jon, the suffix letters and numbers indicate things like shields, seals,and tolerances. The letter Z indicates a metal shield on one side and open on the other while ZZ indicates a metal shield on both sides. Shields don't make metal to metal contact so fine dust could enter the bearing. The letters RS indicates a rubber seal and a rubber seal on both sides is indicated by either RRS or 2RS. Rubber seals are much better than shields for keeping contaminants out of the bearing. Rubber seals may have either light contact to minimize friction or tight contact to maximize sealing at the expense of greater friction. The precision of a bearing may be indicated by an ABEC rating. The following table provides the details on these ratings: Bearing ABEC rating

Bill, I bought mine about 4 years or so, give or take, which would be when Sanding Glove got the MultiStar back. I've never seen their printed catalog, I've always ordered on-line from Bruce. Which brings me to a question. Several years ago we were in a conversation on some turning topics and Bruce mentioned that he was having to take a day or two off a week to go to a cancer center some many miles away. I've asked his firm (Sanding Glove) several times if he is still with them, and still with us, but no response.

The MultiStar is now sold again, if you Google the brand you get Peter Childs in the UK saying we no longer carry it, and a web link to a German company. I read German, they are not yet back on the market with it. I'm going to preserve mine!

Bill, I have to disagree on the suffix of Z as you describe it. I don't fault you, I fault the information. The 6001Z is sealed on both sides with metal. The pictures shown by all the vendors on Amazon show but one side, but I've handled the individual bearings as I removed them from the body of the "chuck" and both sides are sealed. I've looked at the ABEC specs you linked, they are quite different than the specs I found in my Googling. The ABEC seem to be a quality spec and the numeric plus suffix seems to be a dimensional one with some quality distinctions. I have difficulty imagining any rubber seal that would be practical in bearings for the revolving center, the added friction would raise the heat in the bearing and reduce its life. I can see where the ABEC specs might apply with very fine dust - that which might come from metal working or grinding. We produce a fine dust on the wood lathe when shear scraping certain exotic woods, but even this saw dust is to big to fit into the innards of the 6001Z, in my opinion.

BTW, I note I said in my last that the MultiStar is sold again, I meant that the brand and the manufacture has been sold to another company - not that it is back on the market for we who love it.

Best, Jon

BTW, just changed my avatar. The photo is four years old, but that is me and my grandson in my bedroom shop in my adult condo. You'd be amazed at how much you can do with a 12x18 midi and a decent bandsaw. Bowls to 11" wide, which is plenty for most. The tool rack you see in front of me is an old TV rolling table drilled to hold the tools in range, most of the handles you see are home made, as are many of the tools.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
The ABEC numerical designation isn't a quality indicator, it's essentially a dimensional clearance designation. For most rotating machinery there isn't any reason to use a tighter bearing than ABEC 3. Also, you may have noticed the exponential increase in cost associated with the ABEC designation.

Manufacturers aren't obligated to strictly adhere to the way that they indicate shields and seals so it would be a good idea to check a manufacturer's catalog to be sure that you get what you want.

It's the dust that you can't see that is the problem. Especially when sanding there is a lot of dust that is smaller than one micron. If dust builds up around a shield you can be certain that some dust will get into the grease. Wood dust isn't nearly as bad as abrasive dust from tool sharpening.

As an old Naval person I "tugs me forelock respectful". I can honestly say that until I read your responses I had no idea of the ABEC description, numeric or not. I think I tried to rise above my pay grade in my comments.

But as an officer on a small combatant (a Fletcher class destroyer, DD804, the next to last of the class launched, and that being at Todd Pacific on D-Day '44) we had to keep an old ship going. I served in Rooks from '58 to '61. We had to fix things with a bit of invention, the exact specs weren't important.

I'm with you, abrasive dust from sharpening is more "sneaky" than wood dust. But I'm speaking of the revolving center we both enjoy. The 6001Z designation doesn't fit the ABEC format, but it fits my MultiStar Super 32. My reading of that form of designation is consistent with the dimensions - although I still haven't figured out the suffix. I shall bow out of the discussion with the cogent comment that the MultiStar Super 32 uses three races of 6001Z bearings placed in the body of the device then held by the retaining ring. A snug fit, a dowel or other thing can help you hammer it it. We how love the Super 32, or other centers with replaceable bearings, can give our centers eternal life.

Best, Jon

I have a Nova live center with several taper mounted tips that I purchased about 20 years ago but I don't know if they are still available. The tip I use most is a small 60 degree point that has a 8MM dia. stepped down to about 5MM about 10MM long then the 60 degree point to which I have press fitted a sleeve a little short of the point such that I have a cup center 8MM in diameter. The small diameter cup center is especially useful for holding bowls against a loose jam chuck to finish the foot.

Back