• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

mail box post

How long is your lathe bed? If its fair sized it might be able to handle shaping the upper portion (ie hold the tool rest in the right place) while the tailstock is solidly mounted off the lathe, being sure the lathe doesnt move either.
This would take some planning and care but its been done before with oversized pieces. Be sure and start with a very straight post or you will have a wild ride.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
What I have done is turn a ball with a short base under it for the top of the post.
Similar to what you might see on a new album,post
I then used a draw knife to ease top of the post corners into the turned element.
The post was much too long for my lathe so just smoothed the top into the turned element.

for the box support arm I turned and mortised it into the post. Then I cut a board that fit into the mailbox base that I screwed to the top of the support arm.

Well, for a wood post, I did not turn mine, but I did buy a 10 foot 4 X 4 piece of Ipe, cut it in half and set both posts in concrete. I think I have about 24 inches into the concrete. They will out live me, and no one can pull them out of the ground.... They could be turned. I guess you need to figure out how you will mount them when done. After years of residential concrete work, post brackets do work, but are not very sturdy or strong, even the H brackets that are set down into the concrete and use through bolts, which are better than the nail in types.

robo hippy

Osage orange aka bois d'arc, hedge, or crab-apple can't be beat for outdoor architectural items. It doesn't rot and termites won't go near. It was used as piers for lots of farm houses in the midwest and southwest.
There is a guy in Tennessee that is resawing and using as a luthier wood - claims it makes great guitars and violins - the western native Americans used it for their bows. I've used it for tool handles for years.
At the end of time all that will be left is concrete, cockroaches and bois d'arc.

RichColvin

Super Moderator
Staff member
OTI Member
Website
www.colvintools.com
What about turning a plastic? My deck is made of a plastic wood that will never need to be replaced.

They do make recycled polymer posts used in the construction market, you can turn it on a lathe but the finish is somewhat poor as the material is not consistent and has small voids and imperfections throughout the material. You could turn it to any shape, sand it and paint it Most of the Big Box Stores sell the recycled polymer posts for fencing posts.

I have used this before, but "A black locust fence post will wear out one fence post hole. An osage orange fence post will wear out 2 fence post holes." Probably easier to find a straight piece of black locust than a straight piece of osage.

robo hippy

Back