• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Magnetic Dust Cover

Over on another forum, someone posted up that they were now using magnetic vinyl as a cover for their cast iron table surfaces. In doing this they had eliminated the build up of light rust that forms from condensation and low usage of the tool.

They were using this https://www.amazon.com/Magnum-Magne...sprefix=magnetic+v,office-products,151&sr=1-5 , $40 from Amazon, which comes in a 24" x 10' roll.

I have a couple of tools which get a bit more neglect than use and although I do polish all the metal surfaces with Johnsons Paste Wax I still get a bit of light rust after a period of time.

So I figured I'd put some of this vinyl on a few of my tools. The vinyl is very easy to cut and can be put on or off in a few seconds. It also provides a bit of upper surface protection as I have a tendency to put stuff on top of these tool surfaces when the tool is not being used.

Just putting this out there.

LatheCover_zpsc80vgeic.jpg

HammerA3-31Cover_zpss4hyd4ob.jpg

Laguna1412Cover_zpsjcyb3xon.jpg

JetBeltSanderCover_zpsyw0ovd3t.jpg

Awesome, thank you! My jointer fits in that category, and happens to be located fairly close to my lathe. I'm getting the light "spotted" oxidation from random (green) shavings that land on the jointer bed and don't get brushed off quickly enough.

MLCS has similar magnetic mats, but their price is about the same as this for a much smaller piece.

Dan

P.S. Wait, you use your tools as shelves??? :)

You just aren't using the tools enough if you have to put magnetic covers on the beds. It would be annoying as hell for me to find some place to put the cover while I'm working, then have to dust off the table every time I'm done so I can put the cover back on. Especially if it was 2 or 3 pieces. But if it's what you needed, go for it.

When turning wet wood or applying finish, I put an old towel on the bed. I periodically check the bed and lightly polish with 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper. Next is a light coat of Ballistol lubricant.
Edit- I do the same to the bottom of the tailstock.

You just aren't using the tools enough if you have to put magnetic covers on the beds. It would be annoying as hell for me to find some place to put the cover while I'm working, then have to dust off the table every time I'm done so I can put the cover back on. Especially if it was 2 or 3 pieces. But if it's what you needed, go for it.

Fair enough. But life does sometimes get in the way of woodworking! And I like the idea of protecting my expensive investments. :) It's frustrating to come into the shop and find a new rust spot that I just know wasn't there before...

Awesome, thank you! My jointer fits in that category, and happens to be located fairly close to my lathe. I'm getting the light "spotted" oxidation from random (green) shavings that land on the jointer bed and don't get brushed off quickly enough.

MLCS has similar magnetic mats, but their price is about the same as this for a much smaller piece.

Dan

P.S. Wait, you use your tools as shelves??? :)
If you're into multi tasking, not only can your tools be used as shelves, but also as dust collectors at the same time.

Joking aside, can these be left on tools like the bandsaw while in use, or should they be removed first?

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Over on another forum, someone posted up that they were now using magnetic vinyl as a cover for their cast iron table surfaces. In doing this they had eliminated the build up of light rust that forms from condensation and low usage of the tool.

They were using this https://www.amazon.com/Magnum-Magnetic-30mil-Flexible-Material/dp/B00FULC6OC/ref=sr_1_5?crid=KCCM2TTW1L0O&dchild=1&keywords=magnetic+vinyl&qid=1585589311&s=office-products&sprefix=magnetic+v,office-products,151&sr=1-5 , $40 from Amazon, which comes in a 24" x 10' roll.

I have a couple of tools which get a bit more neglect than use and although I do polish all the metal surfaces with Johnsons Paste Wax I still get a bit of light rust after a period of time.

So I figured I'd put some of this vinyl on a few of my tools. The vinyl is very easy to cut and can be put on or off in a few seconds. It also provides a bit of upper surface protection as I have a tendency to put stuff on top of these tool surfaces when the tool is not being used.

Just putting this out there.

LatheCover_zpsc80vgeic.jpg

HammerA3-31Cover_zpss4hyd4ob.jpg

Laguna1412Cover_zpsjcyb3xon.jpg

JetBeltSanderCover_zpsyw0ovd3t.jpg

As a boat owner in Hawaii, I can tell you that no matter how much you cover a surface, rust will always get in. This would be good while turning some wet timber, but long term protection, unless you first spray some anti-rust, not so sure. Let us know the results. Aloha

...which leads to the question of where to place them when using the given tool.
I bought aroll of this a while back to use on the gaping holes in my cabinet saw that decrease the dust collector’s efficiency. Works great for that - didn’t think to use to cover tool tables, but now I’m thinking I’ll give it a try.
As for what to do with it while you’re using the tool, the stuff will stick to anything ferrous, so stick it to the side of the tool...

which leads to the question of where to place them when using the given tool. Large studio, but free space is still at a premium.
A strip of ferromagnetic metal on a nearby wall might provid a temporary refuge for the cover. Or temporarily hang it from a couple of spring clamps themselves dangling from the ceiling on strings. Just two thoughts that pop to mind.

Back