• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Love that Shellawax

Took me some time, but I think I finally figured out how to apply the Ultra shine and top with Shellawax

Attachments

• Birds Eye Stave.jpg
    Birds Eye Stave.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 114
Love shellac finishes on look-at pieces. I generally just French polish, so I don't have to baby the friction type. Excellent job.

Is that the "new and improved" or the traditional? I'm sort of curious as to how they modified the resin to raise the melting point and increase resistance to alcohol. Not sure the second would be an advantage, given that it builds thickness by dissolving into the previous. Anybody use the new stuff? http://www.ubeaut.com.au/shell.html

Shellawax

Good question
I can't tell you the answer. As far as I know it is the traditional.
It doesn't say anything on the containers like "New and improved" and this is my first purchase of the products.

Love shellac finishes on look-at pieces. I generally just French polish, so I don't have to baby the friction type. Excellent job.

Is that the "new and improved" or the traditional? I'm sort of curious as to how they modified the resin to raise the melting point and increase resistance to alcohol. Not sure the second would be an advantage, given that it builds thickness by dissolving into the previous. Anybody use the new stuff? http://www.ubeaut.com.au/shell.html

MM,

What do you use as your abrasive for French polishing?

Took me some time, but I think I finally figured out how to apply the Ultra shine and top with Shellawax

Robin,

I meant to put this in my first reply, but I am getting forgetful in my young age. That is a great looking piece; you've convinced me to try Shellwax

MM,

What do you use as your abrasive for French polishing?

I cheat. Since I'm not filling, I don't use a pumice of any grade. I knock down any stray fuzzies after the seal coat with C400 and then pad and rub while watching TV or something equally mindless. My polish is the shellac itself, with a drop of nice low-viscosity oil if the pad starts to drag. Olive or grape are my preference.

What type of Shellawax ?

Sorry I didn't give you a very good answer on the variation of Shellawax Michael. It is the original Shellawax cream and not the "new and improved" liquid. (applied over the EEE Ultra Shine). Just a note for Greg, Michael is correct when he says you have to baby this finish. If you use the EEE Ultra shine first, do not apply too much. Just enough to cover the project and make sure you have got all the excess off. The same applies to the Shellawax cream. Use just enough to provide a light coating on the work and apply pressure moving back and forth in small increments until there is no excess. The finish is awesome. Michael, I do like to French polish as well, but never tried to add any type of oil to the process. I'll have to try that.

Last edited:
G'day from Downunder

Shellawax and shellawax Cream are both new formula although they don't say so on the label. All US product has been new formula since late 2005 and as it sells out pretty quickly I would think that Shellawax or Shellawax Cream purchased after the beginning of 2006 would be the new formula.

Around 2007 we started using a wrap around label on bottles and jars for USA instead of front and back labels. Anyone with a wrap around label can be sure they have the new formula.

Shelawax shouldn't need to be babied if you apply 2-3 coats. The first coat is basically fused into the timber and although it may look like a really deep finish it is still basically in the timber rather than on the timber this being the case it is easire to damage and needs to be babied to some extent especially for anything that is bing constantly handled (not really a problem with decorative piece that is to be looked at and not handled). A second and subsequent coats of Shellawax then become surface coatings which will give the work a much greater resistance to, water, alcohol, heat, sweat, etc.

Shellawax liquid will stand up to much harsher handeling than the Cream which has a much, much, higher wax content, making it a bit softer and more likely to dull a little, especially on green timber or in humid conditions and under heavy handeling.

My favourite is Shellawax (liquid) or even better still Shellawax Glow which unfortunately isn't available in the USA.

MichaelMouse and anyone else who likes to French polish, our Hard Shellac is now available in the USA through Luthiers Mercantile International Windsor CA. The hard shellac is the base for our Shellawax and is much harder than regular shellac for French Polishing.

Hope this has been of some help or interest.

Cheers - Neil Ellis
biggrin.gif

U-Beaut Polishes Australia
polog.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Neil

Thanks for the info Neil. It is much appreciated. I actually have not as yet put more than 1 coat of shellawax on a given piece. I will do it on the next turning. Planning on ordering liquid version and giving that a whirl as well.

Back