• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Looking for lathe

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had a Jet 1236 for a number of years. Lately I've been doing larger platters and bowls and it's underpowered for my needs. I want at least a 1 HP motor and 16" swing. I'd consider a short bed lathe. I'm in southeastern Wisconsin.

I've had a Jet 1236 for a number of years. Lately I've been doing larger platters and bowls and it's underpowered for my needs. I want at least a 1 HP motor and 16" swing. I'd consider a short bed lathe. I'm in southeastern Wisconsin.

Take a ride over to Barnaveld and walk into the Robust factory and meet the owner who will show you around.

Dale,

When you move up to large bowls and platters you also want good speed control, a 2HP or 3HP motor with a VFD is your best option once you make the move from a mid-size lathe. With a 3-phase motor operated by a 120V or 220V VFD you can easily replace either of those two components when they go bad or both of these components can be refurbished. Both of these components are readily available on the internet or from typical wholesale or retail outlets.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
If isn't within your budget you could do as Tom suggested. Tne Robust lathes are more expensive than importted lathes, but I can vouch for the excellent customer service and the seven year warranty can't be beat. The owner, Brent English, treats me like a close friend and I have heard other Robust lathe owners say the same thing. Other top quality lathes include Oneway from Canada, Vicmarc, and Stubby from Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back