• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Looking at some barn wood

I was talking to a guy that has some barn wood for sale. He has 7 pieces 7’ long, 12” wide and 3.5” thick. He said they are old, dry with no rot or cracks. He thinks they are oak or hickory. He wants around $100 for all of it. If it looks good I will buy it. That should keep me busy on the new lathe for a little while.

Hickory sounds like fun! Given your region, which type of oak would be most likely? Enjoy your find.

Boy, I’d grab it. You could re-saw it to 3/4” or 7/8” thick and have enough to lay a floor in a decent sized room.

Sounds like a good deal if solid. Watch for metals, might have alot of nails/screws, etc embedded in it. I got to take down a small barn years ago, I use it in flat-work.

In the Virginia area, they used quite a bit of chestnut in barns; I had a bunch when we lived in Virginia from old barns they were tearing down.

Have turned pen blanks from pecan which is the first cousin to hickory. Take the wood before the seller changes his mind.

If it really is crack free, it could be a good score! I've been looking at a fair number of ads on Craigslist and the fb marketplace. Most of the barn wood or thick cut mantle boards have significant cracking through them. That price is very good compared to what others are asking.
If it does have cracks, it should be good and stable for experimenting with epoxy.
Dry hickory is going to be really hard and will give you lots of practice sharpening your tools. Hickory is about 50% harder than oak, which is closer in hardness to maple. If it's anything like the mockernut hickory I have been turning chunks of for a while, it can have some really nice colors and contrast between the sapwood and heartwood. I turned a bunch or red oak I got from a neighbor's tree last year. Oak's coarse, open grain is different to work with and it had neat color and character through it also.

If it really is crack free, it could be a good score! I've been looking at a fair number of ads on Craigslist and the fb marketplace. Most of the barn wood or thick cut mantle boards have significant cracking through them. That price is very good compared to what others are asking.
If it does have cracks, it should be good and stable for experimenting with epoxy.
Dry hickory is going to be really hard and will give you lots of practice sharpening your tools. Hickory is about 50% harder than oak, which is closer in hardness to maple. If it's anything like the mockernut hickory I have been turning chunks of for a while, it can have some really nice colors and contrast between the sapwood and heartwood. I turned a bunch or red oak I got from a neighbor's tree last year. Oak's coarse, open grain is different to work with and it had neat color and character through it also.
Agree. Dry hickory turns about the same as a chunk of cinder block...and if you have a chunk that has knots/branches in it, well, it feels like you are hitting nails.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Barn wood can dull a tool extremely quick. There is often a lot of silica in it. I had some.Oak one time that would dull a Thompson tool.to the poi t it would t eve cut in one pass across the surface.

I turned some 200+ year old hickory beams salvaged from an old estate, that was the hardest wood I have ever turned on my lathe.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
I was talking to a guy that has some barn wood for sale. He has 7 pieces 7’ long, 12” wide and 3.5” thick. He said they are old, dry with no rot or cracks. He thinks they are oak or hickory. He wants around $100 for all of it. If it looks good I will buy it. That should keep me busy on the new lathe for a little while.
Is this the same wood from your other posting?

Back