1. Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Lathe Footswitch Question

Discussion in 'Woodturning Discussion Forum' started by Robert Arnold, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Robert Arnold

Robert Arnold

Location (City & State):
    Bushwood Maryland
    Home Page:
    Does anyone know if it is possible to wire in a footswitch to a lathe. I have a Oneway 220v model and I would like to wire in a footswitch that would start and stop the lathe. I would like to keep the arm mounted switch but would like to have the ability for quick on/off.

Thanks, Robert

2. Mark Mandell

Mark Mandell

Location (City & State):
    Annandale, New Jersey
    There are push/pull STDP e-stop switches available that you could place in your main power line ahead of where it enters your drive. Finding one sealed against sawdust that wouldn't present a fire hazard buried in the shavings will be another matter. You might do better with an e-kill switch mounted on your machine's frame that you could simply kick in an emergency. I have my table saw's main switch box set up that way; works great.

3. MichaelMouse

MichaelMouse

Putting something on the floor and covering it in wet shavings is a recipe for trouble, as Mark says. Not to mention it will force you to clean up between operations so you can locate it for the next. I bag about 90-95% direct as it's removed by the way I orient the tools, but even 5% puts a couple inches of well-trodden mush on the floor at the end of the day.

A minimum of a kill switch located where you don't have to reach into the disintegration zone is an excellent idea. If you're non-electronic as I am, it can be your regular switch.

4. john lucas

john lucas AAW Forum Expert

Location (City & State):
    Cookeville TN USA
    I agree. A magnetic mount remote that you can put somewhere else on the lathe is better than a floor switch. I also recommend placing it in the same remote spot all the time, not some random spot. when you need a remote in an emergency you don't want to have to look for it. that would be even harder when it's on the floor.

5. Gary Chapman

Gary Chapman

Location (City & State):
    Madison, Indiana
    footswitch

When I bought my older woodfast lathe it had a footswitch wired in it. I unhooked it for I didn't like to use it. I could check out how it was hooked up but not sure if I could explain it to you. Gary

6. David Wilkins

David Wilkins

There is one available on the vb36. Its not impossible, it is up to you to keep your shop clean.

7. Gynia

Gynia

Location (City & State):
    Milkyway
    You can get a remote on/off switch for that lathe from Oneway. This is a low voltage switch so the risk of shock is minimal or non-existent. You might be able to build a contraption to activate the on and off buttons.

The switch wiring is simple these are momentary switches. You could have a SPDT switch and a pair of momentary switches.

8. Matt Lewis

Matt Lewis

Location (City & State):
    Suwanee, Georgia
    Home Page:
    Foot Switch

I use a foot switch on my mini. Shavings don't seem to bother it or me. However, I would rather have a knee bar like the Vicmarcs.

Regards,

Matt

9. Ronald D. Black

Ronald D. Black

Location (City & State):
    Michigan
    I had foot switch on my lathe and liked it....until the day I needed it FAST and my foot slipped off as I hit it on the edge and the lathe did not turn off. Fortunately no harm done. I have taken it off and also moved the on/off switch to the right side my lathe (I am right handed) so I do not have to reach across myself to turn it off.
    Ron

10. Steve Worcester

Steve Worcester Admin Emeritus

Location (City & State):
    Plano, Texas
    Home Page:
    I would think you could hook up a foot switch the same way as a on/off remote on a Oneway. You would have to come up with the switches and such, but seems doable. Probably even in line with a remote on/off. As for needing a quick stop, the Oneway's big red STOP button wouldn't get over ridden

11. Owen Lowe

Owen Lowe

Location (City & State):
    Newberg, OR: 20mi SW of Portland: AAW #21058
  12. Don Geiger

Don Geiger

Location (City & State):
    Florida
    Robust foot switch

Robust offers afoot switch (option LA-OFF) that only turns the lathe off.