• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Lathe Feedback

Looking to purchase a new lathe, in the 14 to 16 inch size. Just a new hobbyist here so would like to find an economical lathe to continue to learn and practice. I would like a lathe with the headstock that slides to the tail for easier access for bowl turning and a variable speed that will allow me to use the speed control to pause the lathe for adjustments versus the on/off switch.
Any experience with Grizzly lathes or other economical ones. I do want it to be accurate but understand it might just be an intermediate step in my process.
Appreciate and feedback from all.
Thanks

I have a Grizzly G0766 and it has performed superbly since I bought it in January 2015. Before that I owned a Grizzly G0698 18x47 lathe...it performed flawlessly until I sold it to our club in 2014 to make room for the larger G0766, and it is still going strong after 16 years, and is used all the time at the club teaching newbies, and lots of club members use it. Zero problems! I've gotten such good service from my Grizzly lathes, I bought the heavy duty beast, the G0800, a 24x48 with 3 hp and swing away tail stock two yeas ago, and it is a high end turning platform for sure.

Right now the G0766 is the best value on the market, and it will save you lots of money if you want to upgrade later from what would have been a 16" class lathe.....the G0766 is a 3 hp, lathe with advanced "M" series inverter, 22" swing, and 42" between centers for longer spindle turning. It's price is less than the Jet 16/40 or 18/40, and you won't give up a thing in performance or reliability! When the G0766 first came out it had a 25mm toolrest post,and most of us drilled it out to 1 inch, but Grizzly has done upgrades to the American specs instead of the old ones which had metric specs.....lots of owners are happy campers with their Grizzly lathes, because they are now state of the art machines, where 20 years ago they weren't.

The high end units are the ones I am referring to, so the models I can recommend are the G0733 18x47, the G0766 22x42, and the G0800, the black beast 24x48. These are all fine lathes, The G0800 is a truly premium turning platform.....the G0766 22x42 will compete in performance with the PM 3520b all day long, and has more advanced inverter and more 3hp motor. I've cored on mine without any problems which is what stresses a lathe as much as anything you use it for.

The most economical would be the Grizzly G0462 https://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly-16-x-46-Wood-Lathe-with-DRO/G0462 @ $775. Uses a reeves drive for variable speed, which is ok if taken care of, but doesn't go slow enough really for bowls. Headstock slides and pivots. Grizzly G0632Z @$1625 is a VFD vs lathe. Probably the most economical available. Headstock slides and pivots. Does not have a good outboard turning tool rest solution. They have one but I don't like it at all.

Jet has the 1640 and 1840-evs lathes @ ~$2200-$2500. Headstock slides, and I believe their is an extension with tool rest extension available for outboard turning, but uses the original banjo. Either move the banjo or buy another one.

Nova Galaxi 16x44. @ ~$2350 tools plus. Unique vs switched reluctance motor, headstock pivots and slides. Bolt on outboard tool rest ~$325. This was my choice about 2 years ago. Been very happy with it. I much prefer a swivel headstock for bowls and platters - don't have to remove the tailstock, don't have an extra extension sticking out the end. The outboard rest works very well and tucks in tight when not in use. I wish it went slower than 100 rpm for finishing. but it's workable. 100 rpm is plenty slow for for cutting anything that will fit on the lathe.

If a rotating headstock (instead of a sliding headstock) addresses your needs, and you want to be under 2K consider the Nova 1624. I have this model and have upgraded it to DVR, which today I'm guessing would run ~$1800 (I didn't research it). The 1624 is a change belt system, but the DVR upgrade makes it varriable speed. The 1624 is a much lighter lathe than the Galaxy (or the Saturn and Orion), so not the best choice for big umbalanced blanks.

What are your turning goals and how much of your money can we spend?

Agree with Roger the G0766 is a heck of a deal. I would have one if the headstock pivoted.

The Nova Saturn and Orion are the same headstock as the Galaxi, both are shorter and lighter. If you think hollow forms are in your future, a short bowl lathe limits the type of hollowing system used. Any will handle hand held hollowing tools, but an articulating and especially a captive system, like a Jamieson, takes bed length.

Last edited:

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
especially a captive system, like a Jamieson, takes bed length.
Doug the Jamieson system works really well with a short bed lathe.
Lyle sells a backrest Mount for shortbed lathes.

I’ve done at least a dozen hollowform demos with the Jamieson system on Shortbed lathes.
I use a wooden backrest and a 2x6 with one end bolted to the ways and my backrest screwed to the other end.
The Jamieson backrest doesn’t take much force from the tool it just keeps the tool tip where it belongs.

trent Bosch system works well on shortbed lathes.
Simon hope is a bit of struggle on a ONEWAY 2416.

Height of hollow forms is more limited on short bed Lathe. 8” tall is easy on most.
18” height probably not doable on any shortbed. In-between depends on the lathe and the hollowing system.

Last edited:
I also have a G0766 that I picked up several years ago used, very good machine for the price. Turned a number of large turnings on it and it is very stable handling the larger billets.

I would recommend against a Reeves drive lathe, such as is used on the 14" Jet.

16" lathes were the most popular size for a long time, in many brands, and used ones should be out there. The Jet 16" lathe is a very nice lathe, and if you can find a used one, it could be a bargain.

I was in your same position last year. After doing months of research, I decided on the Grizzly G0766. I only wanted to buy once and it was the best lathe on the market in my price range. I've been very happy with mine. Now my only limitation is me. You will need access to 220 for the larger lathes like the G0766. That may be a consideration, depending on where you're going to put it.

Grizzly is running a sale till the end of the month with $25 shipping.

Back