• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Lathe bench

I just ordered a Jet 1440 and plan to build a bench for it as soon as it arrives.
I plan on 4X4 legs with 2X6 top & bracing.
I would like to make the bench as narrow as I can to save space when not in use.
Does anyone see any safety issues here?

Thanks

Nova published a plan for a wood lathe support some years ago and it makes a pretty stable support. However you build it, having the feet a little wider than the top is desirable. Having a shelf underneath on which to put something heavy can help decrease vibration. I have attached the nova plan, with credit to them for creating it. You might have to modify the dimensions to suit your 1440.

Attachments

• NOVA-BASE.pdf
    41.9 KB · Views: 62
Make sure joints are tight and well done. The burliest of wood will be let down by sloppy joints. Before I knew much what I was doing, I built a workbench with 4x4's 2x8's and 1x6's, but the cuts weren't the most precise, so it's not the sturdiest. Our Midi lathe station is 2x4's (doubled up for legs), 5/4 Cedar Decking, 1x4 Oak from some pallets and OSB, (basically trash-level scrap wood) and is WAY, WAY sturdier. So make sure to have a good design, and build it right.

The plan looks sturdy. That should make a good stand. I cut down the old HF stand and put a piece of countertop material on it for my Rikon lathe.

made this one for my Robust Scout

Attachments

• IMG_2483.JPG
    IMG_2483.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_2510.JPG
    IMG_2510.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_2519.JPG
    IMG_2519.JPG
    93.2 KB · Views: 63
Back