• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Lathe arrived today!

I really did get started today. I cut a red oak spindle out of a blank that I cut last week for bowls while waiting for the lathe this morning. The freight truck was supposed to arrive at 10:00 AM and did get here at 2:50 PM. I unpacked it, assembled, cleaned all surfaces, waxed all sliding surfaces with flitz and plugged it in. I'm tired and it's late but I had to chuck up the oak I cut this morning. I turned my first piece of wood for about 10 minutes and went to the house. Strange how a new tool makes an old guy happy!

P3275193.jpg P3275197.jpg P3275203.jpg P3275204.jpg

Congrats Ron. Off to a really good start.

Couple of things, keep an eye on the tail stock hand set screw.
Mine came loose twice before I put blue thread lock on it. Wax the quill also. I posted a method to keep the spindle lock engaged in Tips and Info forum. I added 280# sand between the legs for added stability for large turnings.

IMG_1223.JPG

Couple of things, keep an eye on the tail stock hand set screw.
Mine came loose twice before I put blue thread lock on it. Wax the quill also. I posted a method to keep the spindle lock engaged in Tips and Info forum. I added 280# sand between the legs for added stability for large turnings.
Thank you William, I did wax quill and I will put some thread lock on the set screw. I saw the spindle lock post and have the magnets ready to make the auto lock. I plan on adding the sand and will probably copy some of your handy work on the sliding tool shelves that you made. I really like how you've set yours up! I wanted to get out there today but I had a fishing trip planned with my friend at Lake Chickamauga today and just got home. Thanks for the heads up and photo.

Thank you William, I did wax quill and I will put some thread lock on the set screw. I saw the spindle lock post and have the magnets ready to make the auto lock. I plan on adding the sand and will probably copy some of your handy work on the sliding tool shelves that you made. I really like how you've set yours up! I wanted to get out there today but I had a fishing trip planned with my friend at Lake Chickamauga today and just got home. Thanks for the heads up and photo.

I did sliding shelves because I didn't want to clean out drawers. I just brush the chips off.IMG_1007.JPG

Nice looking lathe.

By the way, banjo handle is pointing down too far. Check to see if it needs to be tightened up so it's closer to horizontal like Williams.

By the way, banjo handle is pointing down too far. Check to see if it needs to be tightened up so it's closer to horizontal like Williams.
Does that require the nylon lock nut to be tightened? When I first locked it down it would slowly release until I really pushed down on it.
Thank you for the tip.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Does that require the nylon lock nut to be tightened? When I first locked it down it would slowly release until I really pushed down on it.
Thank you for the tip.

I don't know where the cam high point is with respect to the handle, but I would guess that might not be a tightly controlled parameter from one unit to the next. Adjust the locknut so that the cam is close to, but not past top dead center with moderately firm locking pressure applied. But you don't want to go past TDC when you really honk down on the handle. Hopefully, the banjo will lock down with only moderate pressure on the lever.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Thank you for the tip.

The handle should stay put....... Curious, did you use any lubricant on the offset cam shaft? I have used several kinds of lubricants here, and the trouble is eventually the oil will attract enough dust to gum up the works. I only use a dry graphite now.

-----odie-----

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Actually, you need friction on the cam so no lubricant should be applied. At least that is the instructions on my Robust AB banjo.

Interesting.......that does sound reasonable. It wasn't the case with my original Woodfast banjo, because the slip ring would hang up and not slide easily without something to lubricate it. Now that I have the Robust banjo, I did use some dry graphite on it.....no problems encountered using the graphite. Still grips well.

-----odie-----

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Graphite is probably fine, but grease and oil as you say will get full of wood dust. Just a little will help to prevent galling. And, if it turns out to be too much lubrication it's a lot easier to clean off than grease or oil.

Back