• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Lathe advice

Hi people
I am new to turning. I’ve been a novice woodworker for a long time but never turned. I’ve long considered it but never pulled the trigger. Being that I seem to have a lot time on my hands due to the current world condition I decided to give it a go.

Ok, here’s my question. I’m sure this has been asked before. In all my research I have narrowed my choices down to 2 units, those being the Rikon 70-220vsr and the Jet JWL 1221vs. For the sake of argument assume that both units cost the same. Based on quality, ease of use, features and versatility, which is the better choice?

I have already researched other units such as Nova, HF, Delta, PSI, Laguna, Oneway and more and have already eliminated them for various reasons. I am only considering the Rikon or the Jet. I think I have over researched them and rather than clarify the choice all I did was to further muddy the water. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

I have used Jets and Rikons in general and both are good companies. I noticed that the Jet model you specified has a lower minimum turning speed (60) than the Rikon (250). I find 250 a bit fast for sanding; I'm usually turning at around 100. That won't be the only parameter to consider, but something I noticed.

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
I have a Jet 1642 (have had for about 6 years), another larger lathe and am about to purchase a Jet 1221 so am a bit biased but would go with the Jet. My experience with my Jet lathe (and spiral head planer, edge sander, and some other Jet tools) has been excellent.

Between the two, I would go with the Jet. It weighs 6 lbs more, has the capability of a slower RPM for sanding and Jet has the name recognition and will probably be easier to sell in a couple of years when you decide you want your monster lathe for turning birdbaths. But you'd probably be happy with the Rikon too. I do like the snazzy blue paint job.

I've had the Rikon for a little over two years and have no complaints. Would buy it again under the same circumstances. Not turned on a Jet so can't compare the two.

I am a brand new turner as well, started out with a WEN 8". I also deep dived into research on an upgrade and I chose to go with the Jet 1221VS. I truly love it. Although I have never used a Rikon, I can tell you as a new turner that I am extremely satisfied with.

Some other recommendation from a new turner who does research into everything I buy, if/as budget allows:
  • Slow Speed Grinder (I use a Rikon 8")
  • CBN Wheel (I only have one at 180 grit)
  • Wolverine Sharpening System
  • Good Quality Tools make a huge difference. I started out with a PSI Benjamins Best set and have recently started upgrading to D-Way tools.
  • 4 Jaw Chuck. I currently have a chuck from PSI, a good chuck but I wish I would have gotten the Nova because:
    • The Jet allows reverse turning (good for hollow forms) and the PSI chuck does not have a reverse lock
    • The PSI is a straight jaw chuck and the Nova is dovetailed (I believe). Dovetail chucks by my research will give you a better mounting because if the end of your tenon is not between two of the "teeth" on straight jaws, then when you tighten it, the end of the tenon can hit the slope on a tooth and push it just slightly out. Never knew this until I watched Stuart Batty's video on the 7 Fundamentals of Woodturning in which he explained it very well. I didn't know why I was getting inconsistent mounting until I watched this and it made sense.
    • Nova is not the best chuck out there, but it's only slightly more than the PSI chuck so a good chuck to start with.

Back