1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. ATTENTION FORUM MEMBERS!

Guest, if you have not yet updated your forum bookmark to a secure log in connection, please delete your unsecure book and add the following secure bookmark: https://www.aawforum.org/community/index.php

You can dismiss this notice by clicking the X in the upper right of the notice box.

Dismiss Notice

Lathe advice

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Tim Holdener, Jan 28, 2018.

1. Tim Holdener

Tim Holdener

Location (City & State):
    Fairview Heights, IL
    Good morning,

I was looking at getting a new lathe and was looking at the Jet 1640EVS and the NOVA Galaxi DVR 1644. I was leaning toward the NOVA as a I could by the outrigger later down the road to turn bigger bowls, but does anyone know any pros or cons between the two?

Thanks,

Tim

2. Jesse Tutterrow

Jesse Tutterrow

Location (City & State):
    Saint Louis, Missouri, USA
    Take a look at the Grizzly G0766 lathe. You can slide the headstock down the bed to do larger turnings. Or if you are strong you could pickup the headstock and rotate it 180. This is a lot of lathe for the price.

3. hockenbery

hockenbery AAW Advisor Staff Member

Location (City & State):
    Lakeland, Florida
    Home Page:
    I have turned on the new jet 1640 an it is nice machine.
    I have turned quite often in the older Nova DVR. Nova finally added a speed Dial which fixes a major deficiency of slooooow speed change of the arrow button controls. They also added a big red stop button.

I would have a slight preference for the Jet. I like the banjo more on the Jet. Locks are more positive.
    I don’t like the Jet tool rest lock because it uses two opposing nuts to squeeze lock the tool post. This lock is super at holding the tool rest post but the nuts are prune tinblocking the opening if the banjo is moved or the tool rest or the lock handle to drop. Owners of these lathes learn to open the lock an extra turn and to not disturb the banjo when it doesn’t have a tool rest in it.

Both lathes will do nicely for bowls up to 14”.
    Doing a 50” diameter piece on the Jet is theoretical only.
    A 20” plater blank 2” thick is doable.

4. Gary Beasley

Gary Beasley

Location (City & State):
    Marietta, Georgia
    I have a DVR, Im not too keen on the lock down on the banjo. It needs constant adjustment and is prone to slip. Otherwise its a mean machine.

5. Lamar Wright

Lamar Wright

Location (City & State):
    Jasper, Alabama
    I have a Jet 1640 and love it. Like Al said it is a nice machine.