• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Large Turning Project

There was a photo somewhere that showed a huge turning in Germany. A tractor hub was used as the headstock. I'm guessing the blank was several feet in diameter. Anyone here recall the photo or video?
Edit- Saw a video of a lady turner, I believe in NC. Had a tractor hoist to life blanks. Anyone recall her name?
Edit #2- I think this is the lady.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXfwe73ISGw

Last edited:
Newberg, OR: 20mi SW of Portland: AAW #21058
This video was posted on a scroll saw forum I monitor. The video is long and you may want to skip ahead a few times.
As he started turning I couldn't help but envision the result of it coming off of the lathe. Talk about being in the line of fire! It would have run him over like a steam roller.

Oh pshaw. Didn't even hollow it. ;)

Back