• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Lamp details

IMG_20200608_142300.jpg IMG_20200608_134148.jpg IMG_20200608_142544.jpg
This is the lamp recently posted on the Photo Gallery and the detail shots. The lamp is all wood except for the wire and light sockets and the parts as shown are threaded such that the lamp can be assembled without glue. The sphere is attached to the base with a 5/8"-10 male thread. The shades have a 1/2"-8 female thread that accepts the male thread on the hollow coupler then the other ends of the couplers are inserted in the 1/2" holes in the sphere and secured with wooden nuts. The lamp cord is fed up the base into the sphere, the the lamp socket with pig tail wire are fed from the shade to the sphere. The shade caps are screwed onto the shades and the sockets are secured with knurled metal nuts. The 2 pigtail leads are spliced to the lamp cord, then the wires are pushed into the sphere and the finial top is screwed on. Last screw in the 4.5 watt LED bulbs in, plug it in and turn the switches on.
Yes I do have an obsession with wood threads but I did try to come up with an overall pleasing design. I welcome all comments good or bad.

Don, I like your design, and even better with the all wood construction!

Any tips on cutting the threads? I've cut a few threads in wood, but not enough to really have a good handle on specific things to do or not.

Don, I like your design, and even better with the all wood construction!

Any tips on cutting the threads? I've cut a few threads in wood, but not enough to really have a good handle on specific things to do or not.
I use a vintage LaBlond metal lathe that I have made an adapter to take the woodturning chucks, then the treads are cut using a small router mounted to the cross slide.

Back