• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Laguna Tail Stock Hand Wheel - Replacement

Hello there!

New guy here:)

While transporting my (new to me) laguna 1836 I lost the hand wheel for the tail stock. I have sent a form via the 'contact' page on the Laguna website but I was wondering if anyone else here has had to replace any non-accessory parts on their Laguna lathe.

Thanks all in advance!

Chris Hurst
@christerphor_hurst (instagram)

Thank you Jack! I'm sure it's odd to have to replace something, but I purchased mine used. When I was transporting the lathe to my house (via flatbed trailer) the hand wheel must have vibrated off. On the one hand I'm bummed that I'll have to replace it. On the other, I sure hope it didn't go flying in/onto a car behind us while we were driving...

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
McMaster-Carr has a large selection of handwheels. The only downside is that you will probably have to bore the hole to fit your tailstock which usually means taking it to a machine shop. You might also need to have a hole drilled and tapped for the crank.

I broke the handwheel on my Jet 1642. I used a 6" pulley, salvaged from an old furnace squirrel cage blower, for several years. Its bore fit perfectly and worked quite nicely. I still have the 1642, and it still has the pulley for a handwheel but is no longer my primary lathe.

Wow!!

Thanks everyone for your replies!! I will keep all of these suggestions in my back pocket should something like this arise again.

Laguna got back to me this morning and I must say the experience was better than I expected. I had heard that their customer service was sub-par, but dang if they didn't impress me.

They got my online contact request and already had a quote worked up: $15 for a new hand wheel and knob! SO blown away. It should be on it's way tomorrow and I should receive it next week.

That aside, I really like the idea of re-purposing pulleys/things like that. and I also like the idea of milling one of my own. I think that'd be an awesome learning process:)

Again, thanks everyone!

Cheers,

Chris H

Thanks Mike! That's a great idea for the 1216. I'm not sure I'll be able to do this with the 1836 but I'll be checking out the exploded diagram to see how the spindle is set up.

Won't work on the 18/36 though a good video Mike. There is barely enough room to get your fingers between the headstock outboard spindle and the motor.

Back