• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Laguna Revo Spindle Lock

The Laguna Revo 18-36 requires that the lock button must be held in allowing only one hand to work with making some tasks difficult. I use rare earth magnets to provide a means to keep the lock engaged and free up both hands. I glued the magnets to a small metal strip, used a screw to set the depth, added a tip protector to the screw head and knob to the other side. The magnets are from Rockler I bought years ago. I used a total of 4 magnets.

image1.jpeg image2.jpeg image3.jpeg

Note: John Keeton post on SMC another way to accomplish keeping the button engaged by drilling a small hole in the headstock and using a finish nail.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I've been using a Powermtic 3520A for about 15 years now and it's spindle lock does not stay in either. I only have a problem on rare occasions and really don't miss the lock.

I lived without it on my PM 90 and this lathe for a long time and got along fine. However reading posts it seemed like it was a big deal as the more expensive lathes had a locking feature. So I came up with this as it is simple to use. I could have used the built in indexing, but that is not as quick and easy as this. I do also have a cover that lays over the start switch that i use for this and indexing as a reminder the spindle is locked. I could have also made something similar for my PM 90. Necessary? No, but it is a nice convenience removing and installing chucks. I use it more than i thought I would.

Back