1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. ATTENTION FORUM MEMBERS!

Guest, if you have not yet updated your forum bookmark to a secure log in connection, please delete your unsecure book and add the following secure bookmark: https://www.aawforum.org/community/index.php

You can dismiss this notice by clicking the X in the upper right of the notice box.

Dismiss Notice

Laguna 14 BX Convert to Carter Bearings?

Discussion in 'Woodturning Discussion Forum' started by Tom Albrecht, Sep 12, 2020.

1. Tom Albrecht

Tom Albrecht

Location (City & State):
    Evanston, IL USA
    Have any Laguna 14 BX owners made this conversion, or any other bearing conversion? If so, has it made blade changing and adjustments easier?

Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
  2. Gary Beasley

Gary Beasley

Location (City & State):
    Marietta, Georgia
    I put a set on my G055, made a world of difference. You would have to compare the Carter set to the OEM set to see if it might help you.

3. Richard Coers

Richard Coers

Location (City & State):
    Peoria, Illinois
    Put Carter bearing guides on a S45 Minimax decades ago. Much better than the old European guides, but not a necessity for cutting bowl blanks. Just don't need the precision for that. Also green wood cutting fouls the blade and bearings worse than steel or cool block guides which scrape off the crud.

Bill Boehme likes this.
  4. Don Wattenhofer

Don Wattenhofer

Location (City & State):
    Ponsford, MN
    Many years ago I replaced the steel guides on my made in USA 14" Delta and of course it was a vast improvement. About 6 years ago I ran into a deal on an 18" Chinese Delta with OEM bearing guides and in the process of tuning that machine I found that the dollar bill trick between the blade and the guide does not work with that sloppy adjustment set up. The carter guides can be dialed in using a shim such as a dollar bill then tightened down and you are ready to go. The OEM guides require guessing the position, tighten, check then try another guess until you get it right.

5. Bill Blasic

Bill Blasic

Location (City & State):
    Erie, PA
    I have an 18" Grizzly and I hated it, you couldn't cut straight or anything else. I was going to buy a different band saw but I took a chance on a little over a hundred dollars vs thousands and got the Carter setup for it. Glad I did as it made a world of difference and I am now happy with the saw.

6. Paul Grenier

Paul Grenier

Location (City & State):
    Mossup, CT
    I replaced my Laguna 14 SUV blade guides with the Carter bearing guides and it made a world of difference and it wasn't too expensive to do.