• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

kill switch

DSC_0575[1].JPG DSC_0580[1].JPG

The remote keypad controlling the vfd on my lathe does not have the most positive on/off button, so I added a foot operated emergency stop switch. It has a simple hinged plate that allows operation from the back a well as the front side. It is high enough that a push broom will clear it and a dustproof design. It is on the line side of the vfd as the TECO drive does not seem to allow for programming a kill switch.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I'm getting ready to put one on my table saw. My bandsaw had one but when I had to get a new switch those components would not work so I'm going to have to Jury rig one up to that. I just modified my Powermatic so all the controls are in a remote box that has magnets and can be placed where its easiest to get to the large off button.

A friend and mentor of mine was insistent that I equip my lathe with a foot operated kill switch. So, I called up Robust and ordered one. I did not think I would use it - but as long as I can find it thru the shavings.....:D...I find I use it all of the time now. When removing the tenon on a bowl, I can cut down to extremely thin "spindle" then tap the foot switch while leaving my hands and eyes fully focused on the bowl and ready grab it. ( sounds more dramatic than it really is...) And - because the foot switch is on a power cord, I can position it anywhere I need it to be. But...the shavings can/do hide it most frequently....
So...I am thinking about some strong magnets on the back of my foot switch, - such that I could reposition it to either end of the lathe, AND off the floor. I am considering making something like your hinged wooden accessory which would have a "plunger" to dress the switch on the foot pedal.
Thanks for posting your pictures. It really makes sense to me!

The problem with that setup is by cutting the power to the TECO drive deceleration function is lost so it will likely coast longer.
I have a Teco drive on one of my machines with it setup with external start stop pushbuttons. I can check the mine to see how I did it and get back to you.

I haven't been turning on it that long, but I do like the stop bar that runs across the frame on my Vicmark. Good idea. Most of the time when using it, I will have the headstock pivoted to 30 degrees, so won't be leaning up against the lathe like I would if I was turning bowls in long bed mode. Never really had any issues with the remote boxes on my other lathes.

robo hippy

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
My "kill switch" is actually the original on/off switch on my control box. I've modified it with a "paddle" mounted on top of the control box. It's a homemade setup that has been great for a couple emergency stops during the past ten years, or so.
IMG_1192.JPG

Note, this setup does include the normal braking feature that @Don Wattenhofer mentioned in post #5. His comment is also why I've been a fan of this forum since 2006.......I've gotten great advice that has changed how I think, my shop, my procedures, etc.

-----odie-----

The problem with that setup is by cutting the power to the TECO drive deceleration function is lost so it will likely coast longer.
I have a Teco drive on one of my machines with it setup with external start stop pushbuttons. I can check the mine to see how I did it and get back to you.
The TECO drives that I have are FM50 and they don't have the ability to operate with a classic start stop push button setup without adding a external relay. The programable Parameters F_19, & F_20 when set to 3 will enable an external "emergency stop" which when operated will decelerate the motor to a stop and reset is simply cycling the the start signal.
Note: To others with Delta drives the programmable parameters are only changeable using an extra interface module, where as drives such as the TECO the parameters can be accessed from the key pad on the face of the drive.

My Teco 7300 CV has the option to add an external start-stop through programming, but not an e-stop. I assumed, perhaps wrongly, that if I added a start-stop station I would have to use that rather than the existing keypad to start the lathe- I only wanted a foot-operated off switch. In retrospect I should have researched the programming alternative by contacting the manufacturer (never a bad idea) as it might have saved the expense of a line voltage rated switch and allowed for braking. I'm okay with the present setup though and don't plan to make any changes. Thanks for the feedback.

I do really like knowing that I have a hands-free e-stop that is always in the same place and accessible from anywhere to the right of the headstock. I don't want to have to think about where the switch is or put down a tool to hit it. I put similar hinged actuators on two tablesaws in the past, which is a machine where a no-hands shutdown can be even more desirable.

Last edited:
My Teco 7300 CV has the option to add an external start-stop through programming, but not an e-stop. I assumed, perhaps wrongly, that if I added a start-stop station I would have to use that rather than the existing keypad to start the lathe- I only wanted a foot-operated off switch. In retrospect I should have researched the programming alternative by contacting the manufacturer (never a bad idea) as it might have saved the expense of a line voltage rated switch and allowed for braking. I'm okay with the present setup though and don't plan to make any changes. Thanks for the feedback.

I do really like knowing that I have a hands-free e-stop that is always in the same place and accessible from anywhere to the right of the headstock. I don't want to have to think about where the switch is or put down a tool to hit it. I put similar hinged actuators on two tablesaws in the past, which is a machine where a no-hands shutdown can be even more desirable.
I have an Automation Direct VFD that has the capability by changing parameters to use an external start stop button without any external relay and the foot switch could be connected in series with the stop button. The photo below is the VFD on my metal lathe where the top switch is forward/reverse, the green button is start and the red button is stop. If you added an external start stop station you could easily connect your foot switch in series with the stop button or you could add just a start button and use the foot switch to stop..
DSC00830.JPG

Square-D and several other companies manufacture Piezo technology remote mounted E-Stops that can be located anywhere in proximity to a piece of equipment needing an emergency stop function, This system does not require wiring going to the E-Stop, it is a small square enclosure with the E-Stop button mounted in the enclosure. When the E-Stop is pushed in the Piezo system generates a voltage that sends a signal wirelessly to a relay in the equipment that disconnects the power to the equipment. No batteries, self powered via the Piezo system in the button. The range for the E-Stop button to the equipment can be up to several hundred feet if needed.

In series and not parallel? If so then it must be a normally closed model. I wouldn’t expect that.
In motor controls, stops are wired in series with normally closed contacts so that when to push any stop button, it breaks the circuit. Starts are wired in parallel with normally open contacts. When depressed, the start button closes the circuit which closes a coil which then holds the circuit closed through a set of auxiliary contacts until interrupted by a stop being depressed. Obviously, drives are a bit different, but still designed on the same ladder logic that has been in use for over a century.

Back