• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

JSP Powercap/Trend Airshield

Hello All,
I recently purchased a JSP Powercap that is rated at APF 10. I think they're made in the UK, and they're sold at Peke Safety out of Florida. I used it last night and was amazed at how much better I felt after turning, I was also amazed at how much dust was on the pre-filter.

I am received some advice on a facebook forum that APF 10 is not enough protection for wood dust. I emailed the company and they stated that the NIOSH US standards put it at a rating of APF 25. I was curious so I dug up the info on Osha.gov, and the shield PAPR with loose fit and powered air, does in fact, have a APF 25 rating.
The Trend Airshield is rated from the UK at APF 20. Would this mean that it would be rated much higher by US standards? Is the Powercap enough for woodturning, cleaning dust collector, etc..? I really love the fit, so I'm hoping to keep it.

Hello All,
I recently purchased a JSP Powercap that is rated at APF 10. I think they're made in the UK, and they're sold at Peke Safety out of Florida. I used it last night and was amazed at how much better I felt after turning, I was also amazed at how much dust was on the pre-filter.

I am received some advice on a facebook forum that APF 10 is not enough protection for wood dust. I emailed the company and they stated that the NIOSH US standards put it at a rating of APF 25. I was curious so I dug up the info on Osha.gov, and the shield PAPR with loose fit and powered air, does in fact, have a APF 25 rating.
The Trend Airshield is rated from the UK at APF 20. Would this mean that it would be rated much higher by US standards? Is the Powercap enough for woodturning, cleaning dust collector, etc..? I really love the fit, so I'm hoping to keep it.
Wow disposable dust masks have an apf of 10 . And that is certainly not good enough for sanding dust. I know I’m a carpenter. If you wear a n95 mask while sanding a few hours, you will be blowing sawdust out of your nose half the night.

I believe the numbers are lower for those units in England as they did a study on those units and almost all wearers where not fitted properly so they do not do there job properly. Us value of 25 is a lab value were the mask is worn perfectly in lab settings while testing is done. The uk value takes into account the actual field testing of how the mask actuall works when using during your job. Thus a 10 which is the same as a disposible n 95 dust mask.

This thread got my attention because I use a PowerCap respirator too. I just read a 2017 thread from a British woodworking forum (https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/threads/warning-all-apf10-axminster-powered-respirator-users.106790/) from when this controversy first blew up in regards to the Axminster APF10, which is a re-labled JSP PowerCap. One of the things that was pointed out was that there is a lot of confusion because some of their protection standards information is presented as recommendations vs requirements. In any case, the recommendations start with the idea that, in a commercial woodworking setting, the primary recommendations are for good dust extraction and air filtering schemes first, with things like powered respirators used as secondary protection. That makes sense in a hobby setting too, even a few hours at a time. Beyond those measures though, what can you do that doesn't get way more expensive and complex?
There's is another respirator alternative (if you live in Europe). The JSP PowerCap Infinity is a newer version that includes HEPA filtering. It costs the equivalent of about $1300, and is only available after a face to face training session with a distributor. Not exactly practical for us round these parts.

I own 2 of the JSP Powercaps. 1 stays adjacent to the bandsaw, and 1 near the tables. Tho both power tools - and others - are connected to an auto - on 5 hp dust collector - I use them as a face shield that also provides some cleaned air blowing down over my face. I have used them att eh lathe, and never had negative experience - as in browning my nose - and producing any evidence of dust, nor have I had any "stopping up" of my nose or sinus issues. All of that is not meaningful in a statistical, provable manner of data....just my experience. I previously owned the Trend and could not stand wearing it. It weighed literally twice the weight of the JSP Powercap. And it was un-balance - top-heavy. The battery was not removable like the JSP, so having an extra battery on the charger was not a practical "hot-swap" option. And, the weight caused me head/neck aches after about 2 hours.
So, now I have an RPB Safety full helmet, waist-belt powered respirator - like the 3M unit that Emiliano and others have written about. Better filtration than the JSP, and more robust overall but still comfortable to wear and use. These are expensive items that most of us don't really want to spend money for. I understand. But the understanding that wood dust is considered No# 2 or 3 on the list of cancer causing agents should help all of us to take better precautions than we usually do. I think of my respiratory protection the same as seat belts. We have them in hopes that we never have to depend on them - but they only work if we use them. Sorry I cannot definitively give you the specific answer you seek. Just sharing my experience and opinion. Both subject to change with more experience.....:D

Hi All,
This is a difficult decision. I want to protect myself as much as I possibly can, even if I have to spend more money. I wore the JSP the first night I got it and I didn't notice any dust intrusion. I'm leaning toward the Trend Airshield, maybe it's not as uncomfortable for me as it is for others ( I hope) The Powercap seems ideal if it had the APF 20 rating

Agree with Tim...adding one more factor. With constant sharpening, extremely fine particles of metal dust hang in the air for hours. Once in your lungs, it stays there! Wish I had gotten my PAPR system much sooner.

Regarding the JSP Powercap which I have and use. Has anyone had need for replacement parts and where did you get them? I’ve tried the US supplier and Axminster to no avail. The lining which seals your face is starting to deteriorate and I need a replacement.

I just put a review on the safety forum about my newly acquired Sundstrom SR-500 PAPR.........a good read, and some of the best available filtration from a manufacturer of heavy industrial/mining PAPR equipment.

I looked at the PowerCap this summer, and instead chose the CleanAir belt worn filter/motor from Peke due to it's better filtering, less weight on head, and less noise at ears. I've probably used it about 50-60 days since then, from three to six, or seven, hours each of those days. I like it a lot. I immediately noticed my sinuses were better and I no longer blow any dust into a kleenex after turning.

I also have a 6" intake to my 3hp Oneida dust collector at the lathe that's on whenever sanding, and a hanging JDS air filtration system hanging right over the lathe (which I haven't used much until recently when I got Bose QC30 earbuds, now it's on when I'm running the lathe most of the time).

I would highly recommend the CleanAir if you're willing to spend $750; more than a PowerCap, but less than a 3M. Before purchasing, I spend a few hours at the virtual symposium and afterwards that weekend talking with the owner of Peke. He was VERY helpful and responsive. Honestly, after that encounter I've had poorer customer responsiveness when contacting Peke regarding ordering, and shipping, shield protective film and an additional HEPA filter; but with persistence I've gotten what I've wanted. I hope that they resolved the customer responsiveness issues because it's a wonderful product.

Hi Ron,
It's funny you mention this. I was looking at retruning my Powercap and they asked me if I would like to go with the Clean Air PAPR system. I can't seem to find any reviews though I see it's made by Malina. It looks like it has the highest level of protection for a price way under the Versaflo. Is it heavy? Is it easy to take on and off? Any other details you have will help in my decision. I've had 2 quick responses from customer service in 2 days, good so far..I'm wondering if Covid is affecting how they answer calls..etc.

I looked at the PowerCap this summer, and instead chose the CleanAir belt worn filter/motor from Peke due to it's better filtering, less weight on head, and less noise at ears. I've probably used it about 50-60 days since then, from three to six, or seven, hours each of those days. I like it a lot. I immediately noticed my sinuses were better and I no longer blow any dust into a kleenex after turning.

I also have a 6" intake to my 3hp Oneida dust collector at the lathe that's on whenever sanding, and a hanging JDS air filtration system hanging right over the lathe (which I haven't used much until recently when I got Bose QC30 earbuds, now it's on when I'm running the lathe most of the time).

I would highly recommend the CleanAir if you're willing to spend $750; more than a PowerCap, but less than a 3M. Before purchasing, I spend a few hours at the virtual symposium and afterwards that weekend talking with the owner of Peke. He was VERY helpful and responsive. Honestly, after that encounter I've had poorer customer responsiveness when contacting Peke regarding ordering, and shipping, shield protective film and an additional HEPA filter; but with persistence I've gotten what I've wanted. I hope that they resolved the customer responsiveness issues because it's a wonderful product.

Hi Ron, I forgot to ask earlier. How long is your battery lasting? I don't see extra face shields on the site.

Jason Ramey - I find the CleanAir easy enough to use that I've grown accustomed to it such that I always use it when turning and don't even think about it. The face shield isn't heavy, but I do notice the band over the head does create a pressure point after a couple hours and I find myself lifting/adjusting every couple hours - think I saw a similiar comment on the Sundstrom, I'll try wrapping with some foam or something but it's not concerning. It's easy on/off and the shield tilts up so I can take a drink while wearing it. It took me a couple tries to get a shield protector film on without air bubbles, but other than that I don't really have any negatives to offer. I sent you a PM with my phone number if you'd like to discuss further.

On edit: I've never timed how long the battery lasts, it's easily longer than a day of turning for me. As I take it off I usually charge it when I notice it's down to 1 or 2, out of 5 bars - I'd guess the charge lasts 10-12hrs? I purchased extra pre-filters (pack of 10), shield film protectors (pack of 10) and an extra HEPA. Owner told me about all of these when discussing, but I had a hard time finding all on website so I just called and discussed directly.

Last edited:
Hi All,
This is a difficult decision. I want to protect myself as much as I possibly can, even if I have to spend more money. I wore the JSP the first night I got it and I didn't notice any dust intrusion. I'm leaning toward the Trend Airshield, maybe it's not as uncomfortable for me as it is for others ( I hope) The Powercap seems ideal if it had the APF 20 rating

I believe the Trend Airshield Pro has been discontinued. Trend has a new Air Pro Max which has several improvements such as pleated cartridge filter and Li-ion battery. About 4 months ago it was only available in the UK and was priced about double the Airshield Pro which would put it close to $1,000 US.
I have used the Airshield Pro for about 5 years and am not bothered by the weight. My opinion is that it is fragile and overpriced. I have 5 batteries and the longest continuous run time has been 4.5 Hours when new.

Website
www.GrattanCreek.com
There is some info in this thread that is out of date or in error.
I recently bought a Trend Airshield Pro.
My choice was down to the Powercap, which is exclusively distributed in the US by Peke, and the Trend, the unit and replacement parts for which you can buy from multiple sources.

Key deciding differences I found were;
Weight: The Trend is just over 2lbs and the Powercap is just under 2lbs. The weight difference is only 6 ounces, a far cry from twice the weight.
Battery tech: Trend uses Ni-MH batteries and the Powercap uses newer Lithium chemistry.
Note that the Trend's batteries take seconds to swap and extra batteries are available, as is a charging cradle for the spare battery.
Based on the info I found in a couple days of reading and researching, I figured most of the other specs were close enough and good enough.

Random additional note: contrary to info I found posted elsewhere about the Trend unit. it DOES come with a flow gauge to check the filters.

So, I went online and ordered the Powercap. The website showed it was in stock and stated it would be shipped next business day and I would receive email updates when it shipped.

Well, a weekend and a couple business days later, I had no update so I tried contacting Peke. Their customer service phone number simply says use the web chat app. Nobody responded to the web chat in two days of trying.
In different places they showed multiple different emails to contact for customer service. I sent messages to each and got no response.
Day three of trying to contact them, I finally got a response from them shortly after posting a public message on their facebook page.
At that time they told me that they actually didn't have any in stock and that they should be getting them within a week and would start processing orders then. Long and short, they couldn't actually tell me when I might get the ~$500 item for which they already had my money.
I cancelled the order. The refund came through a couple days later.

Based on their lackluster customer service I will not try again to order from Peke. Their unit may be twice as good but if they can't deliver it, that means exactly nothing. What happens when you need filters or other parts?
Since Peke is the exclusive source for the Powercap and replacement or service parts, I guess I will not be using that unit.

The Trend is available from multiple sources as are the parts, filters, etc. I ordered mine from Amazon and was using it two days later.
Amazon also lists filters, batteries, charging cradle, etc. If you are one that thinks Amazon is the devil, there are several other sources for Trend stuff.

I have now used the Trend Airshield pro for many hours. I wear it constantly now when working in the shop and am feeling the difference in my chest after just a few weeks.
The balance and weight are fine. I don't feel any weakness or soreness in the neck after wearing it for hours at a stretch.

I received my Gentex Pureflo 3000 papr three months ago and really like it. I can only compare it to the Trend Airshield Pro. While both units are self contained the Gentex is much more comfortable. I'll see if I can write a review of it later this week. Here's a picture of it next to the Trend.

gtc.jpg

6800pf-powerflow-face-mounted-papr-medium.jpg
he 3M™ Powerflow™ System delivers a minimum of 4cfm when used with the filter. It uses the popular 6000 Series facepiece and its faceshield meets High Impact Requirements of ANSI Z87.1-2003. The complete system includes the medium full facepiece, 6800DIN, motor blower unit, battery pack, and flow indicator. Approved for use with high efficiency particulate filter only.
Does anyone have this 3M Powerflow System? It retails for $549.99.

I have 3 of those 6000 3m masks. I spray lacquer at work so have to wear them. I would not wear that mask for turning. It’s to confined, you can’t wear your glasses in them at all. And I could not turn without my glasses. They are excellent for spraying toxic stuff. Nothing getting past those filters, but it’s not enjoyable wearing it at all.

I have 3 of those 6000 3m masks. I spray lacquer at work so have to wear them. I would not wear that mask for turning. It’s to confined, you can’t wear your glasses in them at all. And I could not turn without my glasses. They are excellent for spraying toxic stuff. Nothing getting past those filters, but it’s not enjoyable wearing it at all.
Thanks for that info Glenn, it's nice to get first hand information. I'm leaning toward a Trend air shield. It has good reviews.

Speaking of eyeglasses and how well the helmut accomodates them, another issue to consider is the clarity of the face shield. I was able to try on the Powercap for 5 or 10 minutes at the Raleigh show and I thought the view was a little distorted. Your impression might differ and maybe it wouldn't have mattered much in actual use, but I ended up with the Sundstrom.

Hi all,
Just wanted to give an update. I returned the Powercap to Peke Safety. I opted for the Clean Air PAPR unit with a filter unit rated at TH3 and the Ca3 visor rated at TH2, this was also purchased from Peke. Thanks to forum member Ron Solfest for giving me some firsthand information. I should have it in a few days, I'll do an update when I receive it. The Ca3 visor looks very similar to the Uvex Bionic. If it is in fact the same design, that will make replacement parts for the visor fairly inexpensive.

Hi all,
Just wanted to give an update. I returned the Powercap to Peke Safety. I opted for the Clean Air PAPR unit with a filter unit rated at TH3 and the Ca3 visor rated at TH2, this was also purchased from Peke. Thanks to forum member Ron Solfest for giving me some firsthand information. I should have it in a few days, I'll do an update when I receive it. The Ca3 visor looks very similar to the Uvex Bionic. If it is in fact the same design, that will make replacement parts for the visor fairly inexpensive.
That looks like a nice affordable setup. Let me know how you like it!

Hi all . I received the CleanAir set up early this morning . I turned with it for about 2 hours and I love it so far . I’ll try attaching some images . It is compatible with the Honeywell Uvex Bionic shield. The only difference is a fabric face seal and the air duct on top.

Attachments

• 78F28002-9979-43C4-B3EF-8BC7D2B9D644.jpeg
    78F28002-9979-43C4-B3EF-8BC7D2B9D644.jpeg
    326 KB · Views: 64
  • 4EDC5F76-F6B6-438F-B500-89A753858BCA.jpeg
    4EDC5F76-F6B6-438F-B500-89A753858BCA.jpeg
    259.3 KB · Views: 64
Hi all . I received the CleanAir set up early this morning . I turned with it for about 2 hours and I love it so far . I’ll try attaching some images . It is compatible with the Honeywell Uvex Bionic shield. The only difference is a fabric face seal and the air duct on top.

Attachments

• F2BB6BDA-869F-468A-819C-2B3E4A716A5B.jpeg
    F2BB6BDA-869F-468A-819C-2B3E4A716A5B.jpeg
    216.4 KB · Views: 51
Back