• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Jet outboard update

Ading an outboard attachment to a Jet

Some time ago, I posed a question about floor stands for outboard turning for my Jet 1642 and received numerous suggestions. Since, I found the best solution was to adapt a Vicmarc outboard attachment to the lathe - which proved not only more economical but a safer and more durable solution. The adaptation was achieved by drilling and tapping four holes in the legs of the Jet to accomodate the Vicmarc's brackets. Positioning was critical to achieve a 30" dia. swing. All this was done in about 2 hrs. time and since the outboard tool post has only one contact point on the floor, it's always level with no positioning restraints as there would be with an independent type stand like a tripod. It's also much easier to work around and the perfect solution for bowl and platter production. I'd certainly recommend this solution to anyone with a similar lathe and I'd be happy to provide the adaptation specs to those who might request it for their Jet 1642. Craft Supplies carries the Vicmarc outboard attachment for $289.99 plus $12 shipping. A bargain when compared to the Jet stand at $420 plus $60 shipping. Happy turning!

Last edited by a moderator:
Website
www.woodturner.org
That sounds like a reasonable price and it also sounds like it was easy to adapt to your lathe. I'd be interested to hear how it turns out after you've done a few large pieces with it.

Website
www.bowlturner.com
Hi Denny,

I have been kicking this idea around for a few months too. I am happy to hear it worked out well for you.

I think it could be adapted to many lathes. I like the way that the Vicmarc outboard system works. The stability of the system looks good to me. I just need to pull the trigger on the credit card. :)

Thanks for your post.

Best wishes,
Dave

Here's setup specs for jet and a photo

Attachments are a PDF docuent and a jpg file.

Jet outboard attachment 002.jpg

Attachments

• Jet outboard setup-2.pdf
    71.9 KB · Views: 2
Works on Powermatic too!

I've been using the Vic. outboard turning unit mounted to my 3520 for a couple of months now. No problems, rock steady. Can now turn 36"+, although 23" is the bigest I've turned so far. I've also added the 18" powermatic bed extention to the other end (left side), thus allowing me to slide the head stock back further, thus increasing the overall lenth of hollow form I can turn. (with steady rest) Now all I have to do is locate a source for bigger wood. ;-)

Website
www.woodturner.org
Gary - that's interesting that you put the PM extension on the headstock side of the lathe. Apparently it can take the weight, or it would have crashed by now. The headstock and motor must weigh 130-200 pounds.

What's the longest hollowform that you have done with that configuration?

I bought the same extension when I got the lathe just in case I ever needed it. But so far it has not seen any usage.

PM Extention.

Hi Jeff. I've had no problems having the head stock on the extention. It is very heavy. The only thing you have to do is get 7/16" hardened bolts and nuts, to mount it. That end of the main bed is not tapped like the right hand side. also making sure the ways are perfectly alligned takes a little trial and error. I started using the extention for more room so I didn't have to keep taking the tail stock off. I could just slide it all the way to the end out of the way. When using a hollowing rig, and steady rest,chuck , or face plate, things could get pretty crowded on the main bed. Although I have not neared the capacity of the lathe length wise, it opens things up. The longest piece that I have turned so far is 16" , but with longer and strongers tools much longer is not out of the question.

Outboard turning

What a great thread and so very informative. Thanks to all of you who made my brain understand how to approach the outboard turning challenge. My PM 3520 will get a similar rig one of these days. So far, the 20" have been enough but I am cutting some 33in pecan today. Each block will weigh about 75 lbs I figure. Phil

Website
www.woodturner.org
One feature I have used a lot on the PM3520 is the moveable headstock.

Often I move it out of the way like Gary does....even though he has more room. But also I find it pleasant to finish working a piece at the very end of the lathe....with me facing the headstock, the tailstock removed, and the headstock shifted to the end of the lathe. In fact this ability to move the headstock to the end was one of the main reasons I got the 3520. :cool2:

As a new PM3520a owner I too would be interested. I did buy mine with the outboard turning rest...

Gary Ljostad said:
That end of the main bed is not tapped like the right hand side. also making sure the ways are perfectly alligned takes a little trial and error.

Actually I did something similar to this with my Jet. I have the 1642 along wiht the 18" bed extension. I have space issues, so I could extend to the left but had a problem with having a legset on the end. Solution, switch the bed end-for-end. I made a filler leg (just a 2x4 that props under the end of the extension to support it) to prop under it when I've had the headstock all the way to the end. So far, I haven't seen any problems with it, but the fake leg makes me feel a little better when I'm doing legs up to 60" long

Paul

Bigger Gold

I have recently purchased a used Powermatic 2442. I would like to do outboard turning on headstock end. Do you think the Vicmarc attachment would work on here and swing 48" safely?
Tom

Just installed my Vicmarc outboard attachment

After reading all the posts and contacting Jet for a solution, I decided to bite the bullet and order the Vicmarc. Craft didn't have it on-line but when I called they do still stock it. There tech support wasn't any help on installing it on my Jet 1642.
I did a simplified install. I clamped the lower bracket onto my Jet and started two holes with a 5/16" drill bit. I then unclamped the bracket and drilled 3/8" holes all the way through and using the supplied screws attached the lower bracket. I then slid in the tool rest holder that fits between the upper and lower brackets and slid on the upper bracket. I put a 2" spacer between the holder and the upper bracket just to have some fudge room if needed. I then found that I could only get one through hole for the upper bracket due to it's alignment with the side of the lathe. I drilled this hole and attached the upper with the one screw.
Everything seems steady and it works great. If I need the other screw, I'll just drill a new hole through the bracket and lathe.
Thanks for all the great suggestions about this.

Gary - that's interesting that you put the PM extension on the headstock side of the lathe. Apparently it can take the weight, or it would have crashed by now.

Actually I did the same with the Jet 1642 when I was turning some 5' offset legs. I wasn't so sure it might have issues or not, so I made an adjustable leg that slips under the end of the extension and acts as a support. I notched a piece of wood to lock into the underside of the bed extension and put a T-nut with a screwin foot on the bottom. Simple yet works well.

Paul

Tom,

Why not go for the out board attachment that pm has for the 4224?

It is a nice rig. No jury rigging or holes to drill. Four bolts and your done. I have not regretted mine.

Aaron

Vicmarc outboard

just an up-date..The Vicmarc outboard assembly is now $329 plus shipping from Craft Supplies. Still, it seems like a pretty neat solution to the problem.

Website
www.beyondbark.com
Thank you dfriedel for posting the image and directions on making this work. I was able to adapt this to my 1642. Surprisingly, by myself too. I had to make a minor change since I did not realize (or think about) your suggestion to thread instead of using through bolts. I used through bolts and after the first whole was drilled it made sense why you threaded it instead. I could not get the nut on the bolt because it was too close to the casting (let alone get a fender washer on it). I ended up having to drill new wholes in the lathe and the attachment to get around my mistake. It works awesome! It has only been on for about a month but I have used it a number of time already. I have buddy that owns a machine shop and I hope to work with him to fabricate something to allow full use of the attachment. As you know, The current method of attachment limits the swing arm from moving up and down its full range since the bottom bracket has to be mounted higher.

The only trouble I had was getting Craftsupply to ship the thing to me. They "forgot" to ship it to me three times. Took nearly a month to get it and they ended up shipping it overnight via UPS. Boy was my UPS guy upset since, even in two pieces, it was over the UPS weight limit and should have been sent freight.

Attachments

• lathe.jpg
    lathe.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 156
  • outboard.jpg
    outboard.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 152
Back