• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

jet mini lathe

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
take lighter cuts. It's very easy to stall a jet mini or any other mini lathe for that matter. They just don't have the horsepower to let you make big cuts. It's it's a variable speed it's even worse. Set the belt on the lowest speed which will give you more power and then take lighter cuts.
If your already taking light cuts then you might have a problem. I picked up a variable speed jet mini at a real deal. It seemed to run OK but when I got it home I could not take the lightest cut without stalling it. The motor was defective. The power supply worked fine but it was going to cost almost as much as a new lathe just to replace the motor. I put a new 3 phase motor on it with a Variable Frequency drive and solved the problem. That's too expensive to do normally but I used it as a project lathe to see how I could fix it up.

Jet

One of the things that has been a constant problem with my mini is the bolt that holds the motor comes loose. This is not the EVS model it is the step pully model. Also when changing the speed its better if I apply a bit of pressure on the locking handle before tighting it.
I replaced the belt and the problem has gotten better.
Jim

Back