• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Jet 1840evs or PM 3520c?

I'm pretty much down to choosing between these two lathes. Either could be a buy once and done lathe, for me anyway, the PM definitely so. I know the differences between these lathes, down to the bearing and VFD specs, so don't really have any questions in the technical arena, and pro turners seem happy with both of these as well.

The question in the end for me reduces to whether the VALUE of the PM is worth the extra (appx.) $1400 I'd have to pay for it. ($3,825 for the PM, $2,400 for the Jet.) Pricing for both is per the current promos, but I have to pay shipping for the Jet (sale price $2,200, shipping $200, total $2,400). No sales tax on either one.

I'm pretty much constrained by this pricing for these two as I intend to buy using Amazon payments.

So, is the extra $1,400 for the PM worth it in your opinion? At normal full retail, with a difference of nearly $2,000, I'd say no. At $1,400, I'm less sure.

I'm pretty much down to choosing between these two lathes. Either could be a buy once and done lathe, for me anyway, the PM definitely so. I know the differences between these lathes, down to the bearing and VFD specs, so don't really have any questions in the technical arena, and pro turners seem happy with both of these as well.

The question in the end for me reduces to whether the VALUE of the PM is worth the extra (appx.) $1400 I'd have to pay for it. ($3,825 for the PM, $2,400 for the Jet.) Pricing for both is per the current promos, but I have to pay shipping for the Jet (sale price $2,200, shipping $200, total $2,400). No sales tax on either one.

I'm pretty much constrained by this pricing for these two as I intend to buy using Amazon payments.

So, is the extra $1,400 for the PM worth it in your opinion? At normal full retail, with a difference of nearly $2,000, I'd say no. At $1,400, I'm less sure.

I own a 3520c so I’m a bit biased. I wouldn’t trade it for two jet lathes. IMHO it is better for a few reasons but the two most important for me would be the weight, and the minimum speed. The PM is 286 pounds heavier, which is a big deal when roughing large out of balance pieces. Plus all that extra iron makes a much stiffer platform. PM Minimum speed is 15 rpm, but Jet will only go to 40. For many turners neither of these would matter at all. It really depends on what you want to turn.

I went with the PM3520C two years ago ... the mass of the lathe and the features they built it made it an easy decision for me. It may, in fact, be the last lathe I'll ever buy ... unless I decide I 'need' the new PM2014!:)

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
It really depends on what you plan to turn.
Since you are on the fence big stuff didn’t push you toward the Powermatic.

I did a demo on the 1840 and it is a real nice machine. I like the 1840 A lot better than the Powermatic B.
Haven’t turned on Powermatic C yet.

My suggestion is get the 1840 and when there is vaccine for Covid-19 spend the savings on a class at Arrowmont, Cambell, or a weekend with David Ellsworth, Rudy Lopez or Nick Agar.

a class with Ellsworth would make the rest of your woodturning life more innovative, productive, and enjoyable than having a larger more expensive lathe.

Heavier larger mass lathe will provide a more stable work platform, the only issue is moving the equipment to your shop work area. A set of steel skates for moving heavy equipment is a worthwhile project for anyone that has a fabrication shop with bigger equipment. There are several videos on YouTube that show how to make a set of equipment moving skates from steel bearings, drill rod and steel U-channel.

I appreciate the responses.

I think Al Hockenbery's answer comes closest to my value for the dollar question, though. Al, the point on education is well-taken. Like most, I suppose, I'm self-taught on just about everything in the shop. I was a decent enough spindle turner when I had a lathe and was pretty handy with a skew. But bowls? Forget it. Physical dimensions in themselves don't factor in between these two lathes as the space requirements are similar. Weight does, naturally.

I do lean toward the PM for a number of reasons (bearings, Taiwan-made, weight, leg design, inverter model, etc.). It is more than I need for the time being. But perhaps I'm a bit gun shy of under-buying size from my previous experience (Record CL3).

I like the Jet. What started me questioning it was a video on aligning centers. I'm aware that ANY lathe needs leveling and can twist, of course, but I was surprised by the degree of misalignment presented for the leg adjustment required. It made the lathe appear too lightly built for its length. That raised a concern for spindle turning (bed vibration), which is one of my needs.

Mike, funny you should mention rigging equipment, as I've been pricing skates and have actually seen the type of DIY videos you mentioned. I am space constrained and every machine I have is mobile.

Wishing for non-existent things doesn't help, but I sure wish PM had brought out something like a 2418 or something rather than the new 2014.

brian horais

Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.horais.com

--------------------------------------\
Bill, I have a Jet 1642 and am very happy with it. I usually don't turn items larger that 12 inches in diameter, so this lathe provides more than enough capability for me. I like the variable speed and would not purchase a lathe without it. The big selling point for me was the weight when compared with the Powermatic. The Jet lathes break down into individual pieces (legs, rails, motor, etc), each of which weighs near or less than 100 pounds. If you think you may need to move your lathe at some point to a different location, you can load the parts on a small cart and do the moving yourself with the Jet. I moved between two houses 6 years ago and was able to move my entire shop by myself, even though I was in my mid-60s at the time.

My thoughts,
Brian Horais
Knoxville, TN

The extra weight would not drive me to the PM. The Jet appears to be sufficiently rigid - not sure about the CL alignment “problems” you mentioned, likely due to poor leveling. Not difficult to add weight to a lathe to handle out of balance items. 60% price premium for the PM does not sound like a good value.

I just bought a Jet 1840, it was delivered mid-March. It was the video, I thank by Craft Supply, that showed aligning the drives. I was very careful to get the lathe level and the checked the alignment at it was spot on. I think the problem could be that if it was moved around the new spot may not be as level as the previous location. I another Craft Supply video they recommended putting a shelf on the legs and sand bags for added weight. Also, a recent email from AAW [from the AAW toolbox. . . ] had an article 'Small Shop Space Saver' he had a shelf on the legs with 150 lbs of sand and a storage box. He moves the lathe using a motorcycle jack. Finally, I should add that this is my first lathe.

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
It really depends on what you plan to turn.
Since you are on the fence big stuff didn’t push you toward the Powermatic.

I did a demo on the 1840 and it is a real nice machine. I like the 1840 A lot better than the Powermatic B.
Haven’t turned on Powermatic C yet.

My suggestion is get the 1840 and when there is vaccine for Covid-19 spend the savings on a class at Arrowmont, Cambell, or a weekend with David Ellsworth, Rudy Lopez or Nick Agar.

a class with Ellsworth would make the rest of your woodturning life more innovative, productive, and enjoyable than having a larger more expensive lathe.

I'll agree with you Al. I have an older 1642 and a VB36 and find that I used the Jet about 90% of the time. And that class with David Ellsworth was worth every penny and more (he uses Robust lathes at his classes, or did when I was there).

If money is no serious object, especially if you are planning to sell your work, then you want the PM. If you are in it for the hobby aspect, and money is some what of an issue, the Jet will do 99% of what you need, other than turning really big. I prefer the 220 volt to the 110 on the Jet. The price difference can buy you a lot of 'accessories'....

robo hippy

if the 1840 had been 110v, I would not be considering it. I expect any VFD to be happier on a 220 circuit and no GFCI. And, of course, the motor would have to be down rated as well.

Steve, the Craft Supplies 1840 Review video (really just a features presentation) was another source of doubt. At one point, the lathe is described as underweight for turning heavy objects and that adding sandbags "really adds to the stability of the lathe." All this begs the interpretation of "heavy," and many people do add weight to their lathes for a variety of reasons. Still, other than for extreme situations, I would expect a lathe to be heavily enough built to handle anything in its capacity.

The same video mentions the 1840 is one of the longer lathes on the market. That, coupled with the stability comment, makes me wonder if it was designed to be primarily a spindle lathe.

I doubt very much that the intention of the video was to undermine the positioning of the lathe, but that does seem to be an unintended effect to me.

Al, you mentioned that you didn't particularly like turning on the 3520B. Can you give more detail?

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
you mentioned that you didn't particularly like turning on the 3520B. Can you give more detail?

I actually like turning on a Powermatic because they are dependable and I’ve demoed on them so much that I’m comfortable on them.

that said I don’t like the lathe.

the headstock is blocky and interferes with turning in the headstock side. ( they fixed this in the C”

the banjo is cumbersome. When Using a short tool rest to finish the bottom of a jam chucked bowl
The banjo hits the tailstock when the ram is properly advanced so you have to extend the ram a couple inches beyond where it should be to make room for the banjo.

Tool post lock on the A &B needs a tap with the tool handle to hold.( they fixed this in the C)

Decision made. I just ordered the PM 3520c. Last day of 15% off sale, plus I was able to apply some Amazon credits. Free liftgate shipping, drop-shipped from PM.

Now I have to make room for it and dust off my turning tools. I no longer have a chuck, though, as I sold my Nova (which I didn't care for much) with my last lathe. So, onto the chucks decision ...

Fortunately, our sturdy, 30-something son is living with us right now, so I'll have help with the setup.

Thank you all for your comments, all of which had me re-examining my needs (and wants) as well as third, fourth, fifth ... looks at specifications. I will say that the fact that none of Amazon vendors carrying the Jet were offering free shipping didn't help, as that substantially reduced the value of the Jet promotional price.

At the final price I paid, I think the additional cost of the PM was worth it.

Back