• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Jeff Williams

Hello from Tulsa.

Several months ago I stumbled onto wood turning videos and was oddly mesmerized by them. That eventually turned into to watching 5 or more a day. There's just something about it that calms me.

Fast forward to last week when I was visiting my 80+ year old dad, we went out to his shop and he had a shopsmith, a set of gouges and pretty much everything I would need (as a beginner) to turn wood. All untouched for many, many years and most items looked like they've never been touched. (he acquired them from a friend and has never used himself)

I took this as a sign to embark on the journey of learning a new form of art. I've been a practicing musician my entire life and announced this past January that 2020 would be my final year. So starting January 2021 I'll be learning a new skill to pass my time. :)

So my first question is; is the shopsmith a decent lathe to learn on? I don't see them in wood turning videos and not sure if there's a reason for that.

Thank you for having me, hope you don't mind that I just sit back, read and learn for a while before I try to contribute to the community.

Thanks,
Jeff

Welcome to the world of woodturning. As to Shopsmith, it is probably fine for spindles and what I say is from what I have read on other forums as I have never used one. It may be underpowered and the slowest speed may be faster than is preferred for sanding. If it is as old as it sounds it will be underpowered and the swing distance from bed to spindle doubled) is probably 12.

Now what all this adds up to is free is good to start but if you really get into turning you will want something larger and you can sell it and get a larger lathe.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Welcome aboard, Jeff. I don't think that you'll find the Shopsmith on anybody's Christmas wish list and it may be responsible for discouraging more than a few people from pursuing woodturning as a hobby. However, determination and persistence can overcome many things including the shortcomings of a Shopsmith. There was a very talented member of my woodturning club who turned some beautiful pieces on a Shopsmith and even won a blue ribbon at the State Fair of Texas for one of the turningis that he made using his Shopsmith.

Welcome aboard Jeff. Shopsmith is good enough to test the waters and see if it’s something you want to pursue. I taught myself on a shopsmith till I could afford a mini lathe. One thing I’ll advise depending how tall you are you may want to raise the shopsmith. I’m about 5ft 10, and wish I had done it. The spindle axis should be the Approximately same height as your elbow when you are standing straight. Good luck, welcome to the vortex!

Paul

Welcome. Videos are a good way to learn. Was in Tulsa a few years ago. Nice city but hot in August. Grandson played for the Drillers. Highlight was that and a visit to Bartlesville to visit the Phillips museum, etc.

Welcome to the forum Jeff! You have come to the right place to gain more knowledge it the world of woodturning from some of the finest turners in the Country! Happy turning.....:D

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
welcome to the forum.

So my first question is; is the shopsmith a decent lathe to learn on? I don't see them in wood turning videos and not sure if there's a reason for that.

No. But the woodturning world is full of folks who got started on a shopsmith. Before the proliferation of inexpensive mini lathes it was a common starting point for many turners.

Have fun be safe.

Good topic for a beer or three......
The Shopsmith is what started me on this Turning journey. Still have mine, but don't turn on it anymore. It and the first lathe I got taught me patience. I quickly found that the Shopsmith could not go slow enough for out of round wood (they can really move with outa round blanks!)---and DON'T try the speed reducer attachment!!---it cannot handle the torque needed for turning.(Yes I tried it). I stopped turning on the SS when I had a catch that caused a bent spindle. I;ll save the rest for another time----Like Bill, I now use an American Beauty for most turning---did I say I was in deep?

Oh---and Welcome!

Welcome to the forum. I'll be interested to hear how it works out for you. I'm just learning on my upgraded Shopsmith with the PowerPro headstock. Lowest speed on that is 250. I also added the Universal Tool Rest and a 4 jaw chuck. Had a number of trees in our taken down in our yard for various reasons. so I've got plenty of wood. Now to learn the patience part.

hal

Back