• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Issue with Waterlox

I can’t figure this one out. Maybe it gelled?
I assume I’ll have to sand it out? It looked wet long after the first coat had dried.

Attachments

• C7BB8B4C-8389-482A-8F05-5BB828ADAABC.jpeg
    C7BB8B4C-8389-482A-8F05-5BB828ADAABC.jpeg
    315 KB · Views: 75

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Looks like you left a drop when you wiped off the excess. Or maybe a thin extra amount puddled there.

Probably disappear with a grey scotch brite. Or a 320 sanding - will gum up the paper
Keep shifting to clean abrasive or the Waterlox collected on the abrasive will make smudges on the surrounding surface. Smudges will come off with abrasive too. Just better not to make any.

feel for it with your finger to be sure the surface is smooth.

once it’s gone it will totally disappear with the next coat or two of Waterlox.

Last edited:
I'd treat it just like a drip on flatwork. Cab scraper or razor to cut off as much as possible, then let it dry for a day or two. That way, you don't have to deal with the mess of gummed up sanding media possibly damaging surrounding areas.

Agree with scraping off the majority with card scraper or razor. You could then wet sand that area with ms, let dry, then wet sand with the next coat of waterlox, wiping it pretty much dry when finished, then add additional coats as desired.

Back