• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Is your shop at home?

• Total voters

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
I'm lucky that I have my shop at home. My wife was telling me this should be easy for me, I have been practicing working in isolation for about 24 years now. A friend wanted to come over and use one of the lathes in my shop, he actually owns it, he's keeping here till he builds his shop. I told him, politely, sorry, not today, not till they lift the quarantine. Are you kidding me? What part of this is serious you do not understand? I have an outside pile of Koa. I have roughed turn about 12 of the logs in 3 days. I have another 8 to go. One is a huge crotch with some potential. I had to tell one of the nurses that helps me watch my wife please stay away for 2 weeks. He went to Oahu to take care of family. I now have some extra hours in the house... I should be done with Troy's Grimwood and my collaboration work article in a few days. Thank God for the shop, it has help me keep my sanity through my wife's illness and now this virus. If you can't go to your shop, how are you keeping sane? Stay safe my friends. Aloha

Attachments

• Core.JPG
    Core.JPG
    276 KB · Views: 190
  • core2.JPG
    core2.JPG
    466 KB · Views: 185

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Love those Koa roughed bowls, Emiliano......and, the new lathe........and that personalized tool rest!!!!! :D

Very little has changed for me......it's just me, my shop, and my two dogs, Gus and Roy! I live my life in isolation, by choice......and, this is the most satisfying time of my life. I kid a few people that I know, and tell them this is my "Vincent van Gogh" time! :)

Now that social quarantine is here, even Sunday's holy observance is online......and, that was my only social connection! :(

My son, the US Marine, was here last week, and is now back at Camp Pendleton. The day after he arrived, all leaves were cancelled, and all the Marines are restricted to the base. A friend from the church will be here tomorrow to pick out a bowl for his wife's birthday.

If things get bad, I have enough emergency food supply to last for 6 months, if need be......but, I plan to go to the grocery store for fresh veggies in the meantime. I have to go to the post office to ship the bowls I sell, and pick up supplies being shipped to me. Most all my shop supplies are purchased online.

Stay safe......my woodturning friends!
This, too......will pass! :D

-----odie-----

brian horais

Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.horais.com
I concur Emiliano - having my shop at home is a lifesaver. And to make matters better, it is located downstairs in a heated/air conditioned area. Over the past week and a half I launched into a production run of segmented shallow bowls that have CNC engravings and laser burning in the center. I really am not a fan of production turning, but this has been a very useful and productive way to stay busy. I'm nearly done with the run of 15 bowls and won't need them until a reunion next year, but I'm glad the project was far enough along in my mind to provide a good outlet. It has even allowed me to further integrate some of my new tools, like a CNC machine (only $200) and a laser burning attachment (only $100). Keep the tools sharp and like I'm finding out, take a break if the motivation (and/or energy) drops too low. Here's some of the bowls at an earlier stage in my production...
building toys 1a.jpg

Attachments

• building toys 2a.jpg
    building toys 2a.jpg
    403.6 KB · Views: 58
I'm also fortunately have my shop at home. Last month I brought home two pickup truck loads of russian olivewood so have started making some shavings with it. I'm not a production turner though I have been rough turning quite a few bowls as well. For some reason my artistic thoughts went is social distancing from me for the time being. I'm also able to get some yard work done on the five acres. I was never very social so it doesn't seem to have changed too much for me. My spouse is on furlough now. I was disappointed, two days after our governor ordered a stay at home directive our neighbor had a huge party, a bunch of senior citizens having a big party. Not everyone is taking the pandemic seriously which may make it that much harder to nip in the bud.

I had been working with a contractor to build a bigger shop, 24x24 (my current is 12x16). Contractors are allowed to finish current jobs but not start new so I suppose I'll have to wait a little while longer. This week my goal is to go through the shop and do some spring cleaning and organizing. Then back to turning.

My Son and his family live in Town, but we are not visiting. Instead, he and I are video calling each other from shop to shop just to keep up with what we are making and new techniques we are working on. We use the same technology for "visits" with the granddaughters.

Not been in the shop in a while as I'm recovering from minor foot surgery. I'm tying flies in anticipation of going fishing as soon as the podiatrist releases me.

Since I have been retired for over a year now - the stay in place order has not really changed my lifestyle much. I have been practicing spindle work (I'm a newb turner), working out, watching the stock market (need to stop doing this), and going for drives in my hobby car.

The drives on Michigan twisty roads are best - it gets me outside into the sunshine while keeping me away from people. That is my therapy during these strange/difficult times (my license plate is QUIKFIX)!

Try to stay healthy!

..,how are you keeping sane? Stay safe my friends. Aloha

Neat thread Emiliano. We've got a big Wyland painting that's about 6 foot tall and has a big koa wood frame. Such a beautiful wood type. We owned a condo at Ka'anapali Villa's on Maui for about 10 years... back before the housing crash. We sold just in time. We really loved Maui, but in those 10 years it went from semi-quiet to over run with folks :(

Sorry... back on topic...

I've been spending some quality time out in the barn working on rocket "stuff" I turned 2 display stands today and have been working on a rocket powered sled to launch rockets from.

Super happy with the new Nova chuck too. Got it just in time.

Ya'll be safe.. and happy!

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    211.5 KB · Views: 40
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    182.5 KB · Views: 35
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    261 KB · Views: 37
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    185.4 KB · Views: 39

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Love those Koa roughed bowls, Emiliano......and, the new lathe........and that personalized tool rest!!!!! :D

Very little has changed for me......it's just me, my shop, and my two dogs, Gus and Roy! I live my life in isolation, by choice......and, this is the most satisfying time of my life. I kid a few people that I know, and tell them this is my "Vincent van Gogh" time! :)

Now that social quarantine is here, even Sunday's holy observance is online......and, that was my only social connection! :(

My son, the US Marine, was here last week, and is now back at Camp Pendleton. The day after he arrived, all leaves were cancelled, and all the Marines are restricted to the base. A friend from the church will be here tomorrow to pick out a bowl for his wife's birthday.

If things get bad, I have enough emergency food supply to last for 6 months, if need be......but, I plan to go to the grocery store for fresh veggies in the meantime. I have to go to the post office to ship the bowls I sell, and pick up supplies being shipped to me. Most all my shop supplies are purchased online.

Stay safe......my woodturning friends!
This, too......will pass! :D

-----odie-----
Odie, please tell your son thank you for his service on my behalf. I have a lot of respect for people who devote their lives to serving their country and others. 6 months supply! Not sure if I have one month. But I'm surrounded by herds of deer, as many as 100 in my pastures, within 100 to 200 yards, and lots of steers. Unlimited food supply... Take care, my friend. Aloha

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
I concur Emiliano - having my shop at home is a lifesaver. And to make matters better, it is located downstairs in a heated/air conditioned area. Over the past week and a half I launched into a production run of segmented shallow bowls that have CNC engravings and laser burning in the center. I really am not a fan of production turning, but this has been a very useful and productive way to stay busy. I'm nearly done with the run of 15 bowls and won't need them until a reunion next year, but I'm glad the project was far enough along in my mind to provide a good outlet. It has even allowed me to further integrate some of my new tools, like a CNC machine (only $200) and a laser burning attachment (only $100). Keep the tools sharp and like I'm finding out, take a break if the motivation (and/or energy) drops too low. Here's some of the bowls at an earlier stage in my production...
View attachment 32554
I have been thinking about a laser machine. $100 sounds like a good deal. Could you please tell us where to look for it? Glad you are keeping busy. Stay safe. Aloha from Maui

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
I'm also fortunately have my shop at home. Last month I brought home two pickup truck loads of russian olivewood so have started making some shavings with it. I'm not a production turner though I have been rough turning quite a few bowls as well. For some reason my artistic thoughts went is social distancing from me for the time being. I'm also able to get some yard work done on the five acres. I was never very social so it doesn't seem to have changed too much for me. My spouse is on furlough now. I was disappointed, two days after our governor ordered a stay at home directive our neighbor had a huge party, a bunch of senior citizens having a big party. Not everyone is taking the pandemic seriously which may make it that much harder to nip in the bud.

I had been working with a contractor to build a bigger shop, 24x24 (my current is 12x16). Contractors are allowed to finish current jobs but not start new so I suppose I'll have to wait a little while longer. This week my goal is to go through the shop and do some spring cleaning and organizing. Then back to turning.
Lots of time to plan for the perfect shop!! How fun is that! Aloha.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
My Son and his family live in Town, but we are not visiting. Instead, he and I are video calling each other from shop to shop just to keep up with what we are making and new techniques we are working on. We use the same technology for "visits" with the granddaughters.
Got to love technology!! Stay safe. Aloha

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Not been in the shop in a while as I'm recovering from minor foot surgery. I'm tying flies in anticipation of going fishing as soon as the podiatrist releases me.
How about showing us some of the flies? Hope they give you the green light soon! Aloha

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Since I have been retired for over a year now - the stay in place order has not really changed my lifestyle much. I have been practicing spindle work (I'm a newb turner), working out, watching the stock market (need to stop doing this), and going for drives in my hobby car.

The drives on Michigan twisty roads are best - it gets me outside into the sunshine while keeping me away from people. That is my therapy during these strange/difficult times (my license plate is QUIKFIX)!

Try to stay healthy!
Hobby car, we want to see pictures!!

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Neat thread Emiliano. We've got a big Wyland painting that's about 6 foot tall and has a big koa wood frame. Such a beautiful wood type. We owned a condo at Ka'anapali Villa's on Maui for about 10 years... back before the housing crash. We sold just in time. We really loved Maui, but in those 10 years it went from semi-quiet to over run with folks :(

I've been spending some quality time out in the barn working on rocket "stuff" I turned 2 display stands today and have been working on a rocket powered sled to launch rockets from.

Kaanapali is a very nice area.. Love the pictures of the rockets. How are you going to launch from the sled?

Timothy Allen

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
I voted No to the poll because yes, my shop is at home but I have two homes and thus two shops, and invariably the tools that I need for a project are at the other one, 4 hours away.... One shop is set up for "flat work," the other for turning....

I just, yesterday afternoon, received my sweet new lathe here at my inland turning shop (thankfully, trucking is still considered an essential service) -- still have to uncrate it and get it into the shop (which may be tough working alone without any helpers) -- but once I get it set up, I am due to drive back to my coastal flat work shop, where the rest of my family is situated... maybe I'll take my smaller old lathe with me, but what about all my tools and accessories? Argh!

At either place it is relatively easy to isolate from the world, and driving between places I am isolated in my vehicle. Fortunately we don't have to isolate ourselves from the people we live with (so long as they too successfully distance themselves from the world and none of us get sick).

Stay safe everyone!

Try to stay healthy!
OK, what is your hobby car? Curious. OK, I'm just downright nosy. Had a '66 Corvette, wish I had kept it.

How about showing us some of the flies? Hope they give you the green light soon! Aloha
Can do. Working on a magazine article on tying flies so I'll have some photos in a couple of days. After all, man does not live by woodturning alone.Tied fly..jpg

Dave Landers

Beta Tester
Website
dlwoodturning.com
I voted No to the poll because yes, my shop is at home but I have two homes and thus two shops, and invariably the tools that I need for a project are at the other one, 4 hours away....
I thought I had it bad back when I had a tiny basement shop and half my tools were in the garage.
We moved about 3 1/2 years ago, and a better shop for me was at the top of my wife's must-have list too. She's great!
So now I have a good sized shop in a walk-out basement with a view of the mountains. Life is good.

I have a demo scheduled for the first week in April. So for the last couple of weeks, I've been focusing on getting setup for an Interactive Remote Demo. On top of that I've been working with my own club to move into the internet age. They had a virtual board meeting that I was able to attend, and I volunteered to do our April demo (the night after my other one).

That has kept me quite occupied, but I think I've got that ready enough now to move on to actually turning some things.

I think I'll go cut up some of that Aspen log I have, and do some hollow forms today.

Website
hogmountainwoodworks.com
Unfortunately I work in healthcare- the Emergency Room. No more significant shop time for the foreseeable future. Honestly it just seems so much less important.

If I’m home, and healthy, I’m playing with the kids. Teaching them how to fish- we are blessed to have a pond. My daughter still needs to learn how to ride a bike.

I look at my Versaflow PAPR and wish the hospital would let me wear it at work. I’m safer in my shop than at work.

I’ve made sure my wife has all our banking passwords, logins, important accounts just in case I fall ill. I’m trying to get through my list of honey-do’s with a little more urgency.

It’s a weird world we live in right now.

brian horais

Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.horais.com
I have been thinking about a laser machine. $100 sounds like a good deal. Could you please tell us where to look for it? Glad you are keeping busy. Stay safe. Aloha from Maui
Emiliano, the Sainsmart.com website provides a good overview of low-cost CNC machines and laser engraving add-ons. I have the cnc-router-3018-pro with a 2500mw laser attachment. You need the CNC setup to use the laser head - it interchanges with the router head. Also, you can search on Amazon and find some better pricing. Let me know if you have any questions.

I'm retired, have a 30x30 two story external garage devoted entirely to me as my workshop.

Life hasn't changed much, for me, other than limiting excursions out of the house.

I'd just finished a few shop projects and was procrastinating on starting a second phase of making Plantation Shutter, 10 windows, for our house. The rough sawn lumber has been sitting in my garage since Nov 2019.

So this past week I started, planed the lumber, cut about 100 pieces for inner and outer shutter frames and rails to dimension and assembled.

Today I'll be starting on 82 mortise and tenon joints for the rail and stiles.

Here's the outer frames being assembled.
MakingOuterFrames1_zpsxrjo84rj.jpg

MakingOuterFrames2_zpscoaapl5y.jpg

This is what I'm trying to repeat.
MasterBedroonFinished_zps72zksgpd.jpg

But while we arena the subject of toys, as you can see from my avatar, I like fast motorcycles, good for about 185mph on the back straight at the Circuit of the Americas (COTA) in TX

DSC_9920x_zpsq5fipg4l.jpg

DD80782_zpsgowjginv.jpg

Timothy Allen

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
...just, yesterday afternoon, received my sweet new lathe here at my inland turning shop (thankfully, trucking is still considered an essential service) -- still have to uncrate it and get it into the shop (which may be tough working alone without any helpers)

Done! WooHoo! The power of levers and rollers .... you know, I think you could build a giant pyramid with those things!

Last edited:
OK, what is your hobby car? Curious. OK, I'm just downright nosy. Had a '66 Corvette, wish I had kept it.
Oh yeah - a 66 vette is hot!! I used to have a 1967 SS 350 Camaro convertible - sold it a few years ago after owning it since 1979. I bought a '32 Ford 3-Window Coupe hot rod to replace it. The hot rod is bad ass!!!

My other "hobby" car (not sure why I used that word in my post) is a 2008 Porsche 911 Turbo convertible - 3.6L twin turbo, AWD, approx 485Hp from the factory. It is insanely fast, corners like a racing kart, and provides great therapy when I can go with the top down. It was a bucket list purchase that I did not want to put off anymore. I am learning that you have to do these things now when you have your health - no regrets later on.

I used to do the motorcycle thing too - recently sold my 2006 Yamaha R6. Not as nice as that Ducati that Chris posted - those are works of art.

Needless to say - I love anything that runs on gasoline.

My main reason for getting into turning is to have something to do during Michigan winters!

The virus is kicking into high gear here in Michigan - scary stuff - everyone please stay home!

Please post a video of the rocket sled in action - very cool project.

I'm retired, have a 30x30 two story external garage devoted entirely to me as my workshop.

Life hasn't changed much, for me, other than limiting excursions out of the house.

I'd just finished a few shop projects and was procrastinating on starting a second phase of making Plantation Shutter, 10 windows, for our house. The rough sawn lumber has been sitting in my garage since Nov 2019.

So this past week I started, planed the lumber, cut about 100 pieces for inner and outer shutter frames and rails to dimension and assembled.

Today I'll be starting on 82 mortise and tenon joints for the rail and stiles.

Here's the outer frames being assembled.
MakingOuterFrames1_zpsxrjo84rj.jpg

MakingOuterFrames2_zpscoaapl5y.jpg

This is what I'm trying to repeat.

But while we arena the subject of toys, as you can see from my avatar, I like fast motorcycles, good for about 185mph on the back straight at the Circuit of the Americas (COTA) in TX

DD80782_zpsgowjginv.jpg
I had a small motor, 100 cc- got it up to 62 mph and shiver when I think of what could have happened. Now to business. Did you design the shutters or use a plan? Interested.

Well like many of the others responding I am retired and living in the Lakes Area of the North Woods of MN so it has not changed much for me except that my 3 off spring or my grandsons have not visited as often. My shop is 30 x 40 with a partial loft for storing rough turns and some of the finished pieces. The early spring thunder is about to happen as you can see from the photo. The photo shows the north facing roof but the south facing roof slid off about a month ago and left a five foot high pile on the ground. Note this is why I recommended in a recent discussion that you do not have runoff over an entrance door.
DSC00474.JPG

Did you design the shutters or use a plan? Interested.

I primarily used plans, as a base, from Rockler. I bought most of the hardware from Rockler. This included the hidden control arms, shutter pins and hinges.

I also used Rockler's 3.5" Shutter Pin jig.

I ended up buying a couple of machines to help with the process, one ShopFox 1812 Moulder and a PM Mortiser. The lumber was rough sawn Basswood.

I used the Moulder to make the Louver blades. I priced up buying finished, from Rockler, and it would have cost me close to $3000 just for the blades, so this was how I cost justified the Moulder ($1500).

I had Plantation Shutters installed in my house in TX. None were a large as the ones I made. The purchased Shutters cost around $1000 per window.

In my build, I did 11 windows for around $6000 of which $3000 was for the two power tools.

This phase, I'm doing 10 windows, 15 Shutters. I estimate the hardware and materials will cost about $3000.

Those are very nice but the expenditure is out of the budget. My complements on the shutters.

I'm lucky also to have my shop at home. We have 1 acre out in the county of midland, tx. We have a double whammy here as besides the virus, oil prices are slamming our economy. It has slowed our work down some and we closed up shop for a few days to save on fuel prices. I work for a small company so any expenditures saved will help save our jobs. I haven't done much woodwork lately but I did just finish this holster I made for my wife. I'm just getting in to a little leather work and carving. Here are my first two holster I made. I've also done a few knife sheaths. The regular holster is for my 1911 and I finished the pancake holster yesterday for my wifes xp45.
Hope all of you are doing well and staying healthy!

Attachments

• 20200223_175720.jpg
    20200223_175720.jpg
    380.9 KB · Views: 39
  • 20200223_175737.jpg
    20200223_175737.jpg
    491 KB · Views: 43
  • 20200326_152059.jpg
    20200326_152059.jpg
    362.4 KB · Views: 38
  • 20200326_165923.jpg
    20200326_165923.jpg
    376.3 KB · Views: 35
Isolation is nothing new for me. I've spent years in my little basement shop with pen production and now other things (bowls, platters and everything in between). I'm kind of a loner myself doing my own thing, that's just me.:D I only go out for groceries and medications and that's about it..... We do miss Church and fellowship. I do probably 99% on line for my woodturning supplies. Please stay safe my friends and take care.

Happy turning....Lamar

My little shop is 20 feet from my house. I don't really go anywhere once I get home from work. Now that the kids don't really need or want me for anything I spend most evenings and weekends in there unless we're doing family stuff. If someone really needs me im pretty easy to find but I'm one of those people that is perfectly content to be by myself. Beyond turning im also starting to learn hand tool woodworking, and then hopefully will do some combining of both. I'd love to have stationary power tools but my shop is just too small.

My studio is in my 1,000 sf basement, and is divided as to work areas. I'm a sculptor, and do mostly power carving. I also have a jewelry/metals area, and a separate finishing room. Like most, I work alone, the only exception being when I participate in international artists collaborations.

On the side topic of hobby rides, I had in the past a 1967 BSA Hornet 650 racing bike, a 1964 BSA B40 Sportsman 350 single setup as a trials bike, and a 1973 Norton 750 Combat Commando...that was a low flying aircraft!

I love my isolation to a point. If it was warm out, I'd be isolated on my very loud Harley running down the hiway and country roads, by myself. It's very peaceful to me! It's also peaceful in my workshop which is attached to our house, well, except for the equipment I'm running at the time. We have not seen anyone for about 3 weeks and I'd love it to stay that way. When we go camping, we go boondocking, ie, no power/water/campers any where near us. So this isolation is just another day we love.

Last edited:

brian horais

Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.horais.com
Chris,

Those Plantation Shutters will look great when you have them done. Nice shop but and even nicer bike! I was down at Daytona for Bike Week to see the 200 race on Saturday when they cancelled the race to fans. I really love seeing the bikes fly by at 180+ mph on the straightaway as they shut down for the 40 mph hairpin turn into the infield. Oh, well - maybe next year. I used to restore old BMWs (airheads) and had an FJR 1300 for my street bike. Nothing like the adrenalin rush from acceleration and speed with today's motorcycles. My wife and I used to take trips on the FJR but quit riding a few years ago when too many of the drivers were on their cell phones texting. Now the wood turning keeps me occupied with an occasional adrenalin rush when I get a catch (I know, its not the same...)

Brian

Every day is an excuse to be in the shop. Been retired 7 years and still work 1 day a week lately. This past week I got some drawer units and some other stuff from a closed drug store. That is the 6th drug store I have had the fortune to be available for the closing. Well I guess 50 years in the business helped. IMG_4029.JPG

Back