• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Is this maple?

Hard for me to know without the leaves. If it's maple or some good wood for turning I'm going after another load while I wait on a lathe. Some of it seems to have a curly grain.
P3145163.jpg P3145167.jpg P3145169.jpg

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I'm sure it's good for turning, but identifying wood that is coated with Anchorseal is difficult. Looking at a picture of wood coated with Anchorseal is nearly impossible. The most accurate way to identify wood is to study the end grain with a magnifying glass and Bruce Hoadley's book, "Identifying Wood". If maple trees grow in your area you might compare bark, but that is not an absolutely positive ID since many trees have similar bark.

Newberg, OR: 20mi SW of Portland: AAW #21058
Hard for me to know without the leaves. If it's maple or some good wood for turning I'm going after another load while I wait on a lathe. Some of it seems to have a curly grain.

The sap and heart woods remind me of silver maple — especially the blond chatoyance of the sapwood. Silver usually has a furrowed shaggyish kind of bark and it’s hard to tell from the pics the bark details. Young bark is pretty smooth and mildly textured.
maple_slvr_brk2_lg.jpg SvMapleYoungBarkKChin.jpg

Last edited:
The most accurate way to identify wood is to study the end grain with a magnifying glass and Bruce Hoadley's book, "Identifying Wood".

Thanks, Bill, I may order that book.

The sap and heart woods remind me of silver maple — especially the blond chatoyance of the sapwood. Silver usually has a furrowed shaggyish kind of bark and it’s hard to tell from the pics the bark details.

The pictures don't show it but the rest of the log is kind of rough, almost shag. Your photo looks a lot like shagbark hickory that we have in Georgia.

Certainly consistent with maple.

That's what I was thinking. I've cut quite a bit of maple but that was when they had leaves.

Many state universities have publications that identify tree species that grow in each state and map out the areas they are most known to grow in. Just google your state and tree types and you will usually see the link on the first page that is sponsored by the state agency or university.

Back