• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Is the Kobra Hollowing System still available?

Is the Kobra Hollowing System still available?

Last posts I can find are almost 2 years old.

Any news?

I'm doing a custom project using powered cutter in long hollowed pieces and this system would be perfect for my need.

Thanks !

As a Kobra owner, I am curious as well. Are these still being manufactured? Anyone happen to know?

As a Kobra owner, I am curious as well. Are these still being manufactured? Anyone happen to know?

Spoke to Al yesterday. He's got a long waiting list and the shop is just he and Jerry so yes, their still making them, but the backlog is real and he won't compromise precision for speed.

Hi Everyone.

Thanks for your reply.

The thing I forgot to mention is I sent an e-mail to all emails I could find about them and many came back as 'this e-mail doesn't exist'
and I still havn't received a reply since that (4-5 weeks ago)

I did look at other system and I might go with the monster tool, but I wanted to make sure beforehand since I couldn't get any solid information about the availability of the system.

could you please give me the right e-mail address to contact?

I am allright with waiting as it is a great tool.
again this is for a custom project that requires precision, durability and smoothness of operation and Kobra is the one my guts tells me to go with.

Mark
thanks for the info. That's one more reason I want this system ; great professional tools made with care.
I sent an e-mail again ( at jatooling)

any other information is welcomed (used one for sale, etc)

Jean-François
ojeefo@gmail.com

Last edited:
Hi Everyone.

Thanks for your reply.

The thing I forgot to mention is I sent an e-mail to all emails I could find about them and many came back as 'this e-mail doesn't exist'
and I still havn't received a reply since that (4-5 weeks ago)

I did look at other system and I might go with the monster tool, but I wanted to make sure beforehand since I couldn't get any solid information about the availability of the system.

could you please give me the right e-mail address to contact?

I am allright with waiting as it is a great tool.
again this is for a custom project that requires precision, durability and smoothness of operation and Kobra is the one my guts tells me to go with.

I sent an e-mail again ( at jatooling)

any other information is welcomed (used one for sale, etc)

Jean-François
ojeefo@gmail.com

email is jatooling@yahoo.com

monster system

I owned but never used the kobra system about three years ago. long story.
now own a monster system.
customer service is much better delivery time is much shorter and the quality of tool is fabulous. kobra made a super tool but delivery was basically you got it when they felt like making it.
other than that i can't say whether they are in business still or not. two retired guys who worked when they felt like it. but damn they made a nice tool. but you paid for dearly for it too.

Allen - Patience is indeed required when ordering/purchasing a Kobra. It took right at 20 months to get mine. I'm curious though. You received your Kobra and then purchased a Monster? What did you do with the Kobra and why (after what I presume was a long wait to obtain it) did you get rid of it?

I am finally going to get my Kobra

IMG_20160214_115926749.jpgHi guys and gals. After 2 years and 11 months I just recieved an email, stating that I made it to the top of jatooling's list. It has been a long wait. However, I had many other projects to keep me busy, as I took up segmented turning a couple of years ago. The guys contacted me about a month ago, and have sent several email's since, to get the order right. It appears that they are ready to ship the system to me. Since it took so long I am buying about every option that they have to offer. The basic system with 1 inch bar and 3 (3/16 inch tips) is $700, set of 3 (1/4 inch tips) is $125, laser is $140, 5/8 bar, (one 9 inches long and one 12 inches long) and 3 tips are $140, adaptor sleeves are $45 each, Hunter style tip and cutters are $65 each, round scraper tip is $75, and large 1 3/8 x 24 inch long bar is $275. This all ads up to a lot of money. However, after talking to Jerry I am not sure how long into the future they will be making the system, and after checking several other web sights for accessories that would fit the Kobra bars, and knowing what the local machine shop charges per hour for work, it looked like their price for accessories wasn't too out of line. Therefore I have spent a lot of money, for what I hope to be a very good deep hollowing system. And after all, how do you put a value on tools for a hobby, RIGHT??? I am very excited to try the system. Now all I have to do is find some logs that are not too split up. Here is a picture of my last two segmented projects.

Last edited:
Congratulations~!! I emailed them a while back and got no response, so I made my own
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c846eBoYKRs
I haven't put it to use yet ( if you can believe that) because I have so many other things I've been doing. Currently I'm in flatwork on a bookcase from maple I harvested from the property.

Congratulations~!! I emailed them a while back and got no response, so I made my own
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c846eBoYKRs
I haven't put it to use yet ( if you can believe that) because I have so many other things I've been doing. Currently I'm in flatwork on a bookcase from maple I harvested from the property.

Wow! Great job. I would like to see another video of it in use. The bearing assemblies. Are those a stock item or did you fabricate them.

Tell use how you like it. Anything you would do different? Thanks for posting.

Cheers

Not nearly as sexy as Raul's, but this is what I made. It started out a test to see what it would do, it turned out to be my go to tool. Cleaning up the black pipe Ts was a task. Boring out the threads for the 3/4" bar stock is something for the metal lathe only. Tried one on a drill press and was really impressed how the drill bit grabbed the threads. Really glad I had it in a large vise! I'm going to make a much cleaner one some day, but as long as it works I'm in no hurry.

Attachments

• hollowingrig.jpg
    hollowingrig.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 90

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Well not that's pretty cool. After seeing the precision that they put into the Kobra it surprises me that a homemade version works that well. I'm glad it does. I do have a metal lathe but it still needs work to get any accuracy. For that reason I'm probably going to build one that looks more like the Monster tool. Much less precision needed on my part. I'm still using my home made Jamieson style captured bar system with a wooden secondary tool rest. it works fine just takes up a lot of space to store it.

Wow! Great job. I would like to see another video of it in use. The bearing assemblies. Are those a stock item or did you fabricate them.

Tell use how you like it. Anything you would do different? Thanks for posting.

Cheers
thanks.
I made the whole thing except for the tapered roller bearings.
What I'd do different I'd fer sure have used something other than 4140 steel for the knuckles. That stuff is a beast to turn on my itty bitty antique lathe, and welding it is not easy as one has to pre-heat to about 600 and then ramp down slowly. But it was the hunk 'o metal I had around.

Then I built a version of the munroe hollower expressly for the articulated system, and learned why articulated arms have a disadvantage. I got some locking washers that seem to do a great job preventing it from loosening itself under stress.

I'll post vids in use as soon as I get a chance to use it. I got hammered with other projects. Right now I'm building a 5-foot long double tiered display and bookcase from maple harvested on the property.
I'm sort of generally doing a loose take on the Scott Bookcase with different dimensions and materials using real wood not mdf.

thanks.
I made the whole thing except for the tapered roller bearings.
What I'd do different I'd fer sure have used something other than 4140 steel for the knuckles. That stuff is a beast to turn on my itty bitty antique lathe, and welding it is not easy as one has to pre-heat to about 600 and then ramp down slowly. But it was the hunk 'o metal I had around.

Then I built a version of the munroe hollower expressly for the articulated system, and learned why articulated arms have a disadvantage. I got some locking washers that seem to do a great job preventing it from loosening itself under stress.

I'll post vids in use as soon as I get a chance to use it. I got hammered with other projects. Right now I'm building a 5-foot long double tiered display and bookcase from maple harvested on the property.
I'm sort of generally doing a loose take on the Scott Bookcase with different dimensions and materials using real wood not mdf.
What type or part number are the roller bearings.looking to make something similar.

Back