• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

iPhone speakers, turned on the lathe

My wife frequently uses a coffee mug to amplify her iPhone music when in the kitchen. Having recently seen a pre-made iPhone amplifier kit from Rockler that does this in a much more elegant fashion (using wood rather than a ceramic mug), I was inspired to build one myself using my lathe and a router. What I have done here is almost a direct copy of the kit sold by Rockler, and it is possibly not as sophisticated (e.g., Rockler uses nonlinear sound channels for reasons that I don't understand), so you might just want to buy theirs directly. That said, I made mine on the lathe (turning the speaker recesses on two separate mountings), so it was a fun woodturning project. I should also add that my wife's iPhone has an attached keyboard that makes it thicker than the standard iPhone, so the pre-made kit from Rockler was a non-starter for me. If you make your own you can adapt it to whatever smartphone configuration you have.

I used a block of 10"x5"x2" cherry left over from an old woodworking project. I mounted it on two axes to turn each of the 3" diameter half-spheres (each only 1-3/8" deep, so not quite a full half sphere). Then with a router I cut the rectangle for the iPhone and a 3/8" channel from each speaker hole in the iPhone to each each "bowl". (I've crudely indicated the channel in a second photo using a marker.) Nothing as elaborate as the Rocker kit. I re-sawed a 1/8" veneer of cherry which I then glued over the whole thing, then used a bearing-guided pattern maker's bit in the router to cut through the circles and the iPhone rectangle. It is better than a coffee mug, but not as good as a pair of electronic speakers. Still, a fun turned gift using some left over wood. And if you are like me and have given away so many bowls to friends and family that they have pre-emptively asked you to stop, then this project will likely be appreciated more.

Speaking of unusual "turned" gifts, I recently built a hovercraft for my daughters using the lathe, plywood, a leaf blower, a shower curtain and lots of duct tape, but that is another post entirely. :)

Attachments

• iphone.jpg
    iphone.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 191
  • iphone(channels).jpg
    iphone(channels).jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Lars, I suspect that the one that Rockler Hardware has is probably based on the design of a folded exponential horn -- a design originated by Paul Klipsch in the 1940's. You might possibly have heard of the Klipschorn speakers which also included the Corner Horn and Cornwall speakers if you are old enough.

Oh if I still had my Klipsch speakers I bought in Germany back in the early 80's while stationed there.

Back