1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. ATTENTION FORUM MEMBERS!

Guest, if you have not yet updated your forum bookmark to a secure log in connection, please delete your unsecure book and add the following secure bookmark: https://www.aawforum.org/community/index.php

You can dismiss this notice by clicking the X in the upper right of the notice box.

Dismiss Notice

Inlay Materials

Discussion in 'Woodturning Discussion Forum' started by Donovan Bailey, Aug 14, 2020.

1. Donovan Bailey

Donovan Bailey

Location (City & State):
    Gainesville, VA
    I have never been able to nail down a good source of inlay materials (soapstone, etc.) for turnings. Appreciate it if anyone knows of a good source. I'd also be interested in any application tips or suggestions that you guys have discovered.

2. Clifton C

Clifton C

Location (City & State):
    Hampton Roads Virginia
    Donovan Bailey likes this.
  3. Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence

Location (City & State):
    Jackson, NJ
    Home Page:
    I found tuckers turnings to be a good source for man made turquoise. His blend of 3 different size pieces comes with a 1 oz. package of dust. pack it in and put a few drops of thin ca glue on it. Then sand it flush and fill in any small voids with the dust.

4. Donovan Bailey

Donovan Bailey

Location (City & State):
    Gainesville, VA
    Thanks, Clifton. Looks like this guy wrote the book on using inlays with turnings.

5. Don Wattenhofer

Don Wattenhofer

Location (City & State):
    Ponsford, MN
    I saw Stephen at the last symposium held in St. Paul and I still keep the booklet handed out to attendees and use it as a reference for stone inlay.
    The only thing I might add to his technique would be the undercutting method he uses for his designs can also be used on large voids prefilled with epoxy putty.

6. john lucas

john lucas AAW Forum Expert

Location (City & State):
    Cookeville TN USA
  7. Dave Mueller

Dave Mueller

Location (City & State):
    College Station, Texas
    I tried the minerals. Unfortunately, they are difficult to crush, had limited color choices and hard to sand. I discovered I could use ground pony beads. They come in over a hundred colors, are easy to prepare and the they turn and sand just like wood. Here is a link (http://www.aggieturner.com/preparing and using ground pony beads.pdf) to my PDF on how to prepare and install them. Incidentally, they are a lot cheaper than Inlace.

Ed Davidson likes this.
  8. Donovan Bailey

Donovan Bailey

Location (City & State):
    Gainesville, VA
    Great info, Dave. Thank you. I can't wait to give them a try.

9. charlie knighton

charlie knighton

Location (City & State):
    virginia
    go to Wally world stationary dept....get assorted colored chalk.....cut off slivers make dust of your choice or combo color

Ed Davidson likes this.
  10. john lucas

john lucas AAW Forum Expert

Location (City & State):
    Cookeville TN USA
    Try the colored Inlace chips sold.by turtlefeathers.net