• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Indexing wheel

Hal

Website
www.greenwoodturnings.com
I read with great interest Paul Fennell’s article on making an index wheel in the Spring 2004 (Vol. 19, No.1) issue of the American Woodturner because I have a PM 3520 which of course does not have an indexing wheel. I used his idea, but I have improved on the way the divisions are made. His way is to use mathematics to get the divisions; my way is to use the computer. I have a drawing program which can draw spokes in a circle with as many, or few, divisions as you want. You could make a number of wheels with various divisions (angles) and interchange them if wanted. The included picture may give you an idea of how I made mine for the PM.

If you are interested I can make a drawing which you can glue to a piece of wood to make an indexing wheel. Just let me know how many divisions (or angle) you want and what size circle.

Attachments

• P2160029 copy.jpg
    P2160029 copy.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 1,512
Last edited by a moderator:

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Hal Good job. that's very similar to what I have been planning to build. I don't want to mess up the top of the lathe headstock because I store stuff there all the time. I'm trying to come up with an index lock somewhat similar to your that will fit on one of the corners on the outboard side. Mine needs to be very rigid because I will be using it to route into the turning and can't have any slop.
I don't use math or a computer for the index marks. I simply step them off with a set of dividers. It usually only takes one or two runs around the circle to get the dividers set perfectly. I've been doing segmented work this way for years.
You've given me the incentive to get to work on my index system. I've been getting buy with a jury rigged system.

I have been making up indexing wheels by wraping a length of dull 1/2 x 4tpi bandsaw blade with the necessary number of teeth around a plywood disc. I made up 96, 100, and 144 tooth wheels, but find that the 96 tooth is the only one I use regularly. I mount the disc onto a faceplate and screw it onto the outboard end of the lathe spindle. For a stop I have a piece of 1/8 x 1" aluminum that I swing into the gullet between the teeth. A bit of thumb pressure against the turning holds it in place well enough to allow me to draw or scribe lines onto the workpiece. I have never tried to use this system on a piece that I was going to run a router on, but it would be easy to set up a De Sta Co type clamp to lock the disc solidly in position.

To build the indexing plate first cut the piece of blade to length and file the ends square leaving the right amount of material at each end to give the same spacing between the end teeth as there is between the others. Next drill holes close to the ends of the blade to fit small screws or escutcheon pins. You will also need holes about every three inches in between to attach the blade to the disc. Once that is done bandsaw the plywood disc a little oversize and mount it on a faceplate. Turn the edge of the disc down until the ends of the blade just touch when you wrap it around the disc. Attach the blade to the disc with the teeth extending above the surface of the plywood to the depth of the gullets. I mount my blades with the teeth pointing backwards.

My indexing stop is a piece of aluminum bar stock mounted to pivot between two pieces of aluminum angle that are screwed to a block of wood. The block and aluminum angle hinge need to be sized so that the indexing bar is parallel to the face of the indexing disc when it is in use. I mounted my block at about 4 o'clock so that it is easy to reach.

A warning. This setup should NEVER be left on the lathe when the machine is running. It is way too easy to thoughtlessly reach over and try to slow the lathe to a stop by grabbing or pressing against the index wheel as one would a handwheel. I know that no one else is that dumb, but just in case....

Jan

Indexing head

I get a good assortment of spacings from using various size bicycle and motorcycle sprockets. I remove axles, pedal shafts, etc. and ream or insert bushings to fit my Sorby (1" headstock shaft), and simply slip one on the shaft, and cinch up the appropriate chuck to hold it in place without turning. I use a spring loaded lever mounted on the headstock case to drop between the teeth. Works great, and a good variety of spacings are possible. WARNING!! Never turn lathe on with this setup installed!!!!! I always unplug the power cord to lathe when doing my indexing work.

3520B Indexing

For those interested, the Powermatic 3520B Operating Instructions Indexer table has some errors. Corrections are listed below:
8 flutes- letter D: 2,5,8,11
9 flutes- letter B: 2,6,10 letter c: 4,8,12
18 flutes- letter A: 1,3,5,7,9,11

Website
www.zionfire.com
Why???

Follks, I'm at a loss here.

I absolutely LOVE to make my own stuff. Jigs and things are very special.

BUT, and this is a huge but, in my view, there is a point where my pride of craftsmanship gets in the way of my common sense.

I can purchase a good indexing wheel for my lathe or lathes for $20 plus a couple of bucks for shipping. My time is worth something. My willingness to play around with a design and tools that wander and all the things that can cause my jigs to be less than effective and less than good (let alone perfect!) all pretty much add up to I can afford that $20 more than I can afford to putz around and make this thing!

Add to that, it's more flexible than most home-made rigs I've ever seen.

Check it out at INDEXING-WHEEL.

Hope it helps someone from reinventing the indexing wheel! pun intended

PM Indexing

James L. Pruitt said:
For those interested, the Powermatic 3520B Operating Instructions Indexer table has some errors. Corrections are listed below:
8 flutes- letter D: 2,5,8,11
9 flutes- letter B: 2,6,10 letter c: 4,8,12
18 flutes- letter A: 1,3,5,7,9,11

I just received my 3420B and this information is TIMELY. Although, the use of this indexing system seems a bit fussy and time consuming....need to actually try it to make an intellegent assessment....soon, but for now I'm making chips and just lovin' it.

Back