• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

I'm a complete noob

But.. my wife just took a picture of me and this bowl I just recently turned. I think this is my best turned piece yet.

Someone had posted on marketplace that they had "hardwood fire logs" for free. I asked if I could come take a couple because they looked eerily like walnut, but a little more light than walnut in the heartwood.

When I got there, my wife startd to work in tree identification and identified it as hickory. Awesome I thought. Hard wood to cut with my little 16" homelite from home depot but lets do it.

I check a piece and holy smokes, super spalted in the sapwood. It was insane. I was amazed that it wasn't all decayed -- some pieces were absolutely gone.

So I took two pieces home, spent hours cutting them up. They were very difficult with my little homelite that is not very powerful.

Then two night ago, I took the biggest and thickest of my blanks and turned it. I was saddened that, for some reason (the tannin? or hardness of the heartwood?) the spalting did not go through into the heartwood at all. I didn't think I'd have any spalting to show for the really awesome wood that it was.

Low and behold, I went, turned the piece, green mind you, and let it sit out. I was letting it dry overnight, and expecting it to warp like all green wood I do this process to (I only turn green) and after the first night, no movement. I thought, okay I'll leave it out another night and see if it warps. Wow!!!! After two days, moisture content is certainly still high I know, it still hasn't warped much at all.

So, I went ahead and finished it up.

My profile picture is of that piece, and here are a few others.

IMG_5072.jpg
Spalted hickory3.jpg Spalted hickory2.jpg spalted hickory1.jpg

You are off to a great start! Hopefully...soon...we can all attend our local club meetings and demos - in person. Look on the AAW main site for a club in your area - and join. There is nothing better to help you grow your skills faster than having a mentor with years of experience. Someone who can coach you and answer questions as they arise.
Great job on the bowl!
T

Back