1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The forum migration is complete. We had some issues with the hosting provider and I had to restore the server a 2nd time so if you happened to post from about 9:30pm - 11pm PST your post may have been removed. Please double check to see if its still there. If you have any issues post them in the technical support forum or email the AAW Forum Staff at forum_moderator@aawforum.org. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Ice Cream Scoops

Discussion in 'Woodturning Discussion Forum' started by Larry Parker, Mar 31, 2020.

1. Larry Parker

Larry Parker

Location (City & State):
    Grottoes, VA
    I turn some of these scoops for craft shows (I know, there might not be any this year?). Looking for a good way to display these. Any ideas would be welcomed.

2. Richard Coers

Richard Coers

Location (City & State):
    Peoria, Illinois
    In a half gallon of vanilla?

3. Clifton C

Clifton C

Location (City & State):
    Hampton Roads Virginia
    I was thinking Rocky Road...

4. Larry Parker

Larry Parker

Location (City & State):
    Grottoes, VA
    :p:D:rolleyes:

5. Clifton C

Clifton C

Location (City & State):
    Hampton Roads Virginia
    I can't find my "prop" scoop, or pic, but for an xmas craft show I bought a cheap plastic scoop and cut the bowl in a zig zag part way thru, then bent it to look like it broke while scooping. I had a little sign mentioning the unexpected dangers of ice cream scooping and extolling the virtues of my "professional" scoops. As far as display, I had the scoops in individual boxes with tissue paper, a ready gift...Make it easy for the buyer.

Larry Parker and Bill Boehme like this.
  6. Matthew Ferriter

Matthew Ferriter

Location (City & State):
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Clifton C - what scoop kits do you use? I've been looking around and for the most part, the threaded part looks like it's about an inch long. I'm worried about a lot of force being applied to such a small area (especially when scooping very hard ice cream). I may fabricate a long metal (3" - 4" long) tube instead of just a short threaded insert, and drill out the handle to accommodate this.

7. Long metal tube is way overkill and unnecessarily complicates a simple project. A properly installed ferrule on a hardwood handle is all that is required. Use the ferrule that comes with the kit. Been making scoops for years and never had one returned with broken handle. - John

Tim Connell likes this.
  8. Matthew Ferriter

Matthew Ferriter

Location (City & State):
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Thanks for the advice, John. Too many years of designing medical devices makes me start thinking of the potential failure modes before even trying it out.

9. John Torchick

John Torchick

Location (City & State):
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    The most important item in the kitchen, IMHO!

10. Ricc Havens

Ricc Havens

Location (City & State):
    Elkhart, IN
    Home Page:
    A friend makes coffee scoops. He made a wood stand based on something like this plastic stand for pens. His wood one has the notches on the vertical piece and the holes on the base piece sized for his scoops not the pens. https://www.pennstateind.com/store/PKSTAND8.html

11. Tom Gall

Tom Gall

Location (City & State):
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Not if you eat it right out of the container! :) Important note: I live alone.

12. Bob Sheppard

Bob Sheppard

Location (City & State):
    Wanaque, NJ
    Tom-
    I was thinking the same thing, and I don't live alone. I just try not to get caught.

Tom Gall likes this.