• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Humpty Dumpty

A6E5AB92-B439-4A21-86F2-4503B79A647E_1_201_a.jpeg

Humpty Dumpty sat on my Lathe,
Humpty Dumpty Blew up;
All the king's horses and all the king's men
Couldn't put Humpty together again.

Because they didn’t have Titebond Glue

5D76A055-E5B6-4784-8937-F2125DBFEA59_1_201_a.jpeg

717566F7-0E7D-4FD2-AC5B-1525DBB9E7F9_1_201_a.jpeg

The wood is cherry, both the piece and finial. I made a finial from holly with a sphere on top thinking the contrast would be nice. Boy, was that ugly. I also thought of dying finial black, but then decided it would look better matching the chevron pattern. So far only one coat of lacquer, will add some coats. Not painted. I am a terrible painter and you would have seen the cracks. Pyrography. There were really only two cracks that went fully top to bottom. Once put back together these turned into very closed and look almost like grain lines. I did remove the nub before gluing, but left the wall thickness alone. I used walnut to repair the top and base.This was extremely time consuming. I counted the burn marks on a top and bottom of one pedal. There are by my estimate over 95,000 individual burns. The burns hide the cracks. I needed to cover most of the piece. The pattern was drawn by hand with lathe index determining the spacing. I just did this because I wanted to see if it was possible. Since I had so much texture with the pyrography, I didn’t add any to the walnut or finial. Just a different challenge

I am amazed at the detail and patience it must have taken to do this. "You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!" I'd be interested in knowing the size of the piece and the reason that you think it split in the first place. I don't see any knots/flaws in the wood. Did it have something to do with the hollowing process?

What do they say “never again”. The piece is 10” at the widest and about 12” tall. I believe the reason it broke was the fact I was practicing on how small an opening I could do hollowing. The opening was 1 3/16" and I was using a 3/4” bar. I was trying to remove the nub at the bottom before smoothing the walls. I believe the tool was a little below center and it pulled the bar down under the nub and this caused the bar at the opening go up and basically break the piece. Was only running about 700 RPM and the piece stayed within the steady rest, but in 3 major pieces.

I believe the reason it broke was the fact I was practicing on how small an opening I could do hollowing. The opening was 1 3/16" and I was using a 3/4” bar.

I'm guessing maybe 1 1/4" opening next time? Nice recovery. I agree with sealing something up inside. Maybe a Christmas ornament or a golf ball would be cool.

Sometimes a project fights me and after a while it just becomes the principal of the thing. I hate to let the wood gremlins win.

As to the question of why it split I would bet that the dig/catch visible in the right hand view is to blame.

Don, I think the “dig” catch is a result of the tool being too low and went under the nub (nib) and was forced into the side. I was trying to remove the nib when this happened.

I'm guessing maybe 1 1/4" opening next time? Nice recovery. I agree with sealing something up inside. Maybe a Christmas ornament or a golf ball would be cool.

Sometimes a project fights me and after a while it just becomes the principal of the thing. I hate to let the wood gremlins win.

Worst was I was going to make this an urn with brass threads and could have had the access hole 1 1/2” as the brass insert had a 1 5/8” OD.

Back