• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Hummingbird House

Has anyone made these? Seem the dimensions run from 2" diameter to 3-1/2" diameter. Length 4-5" and hole 3/4" above center with a perch seem constant. Do you need to make the top removable? What's the best finish for outdoors?

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I have made a number of Bluebird size turned bird houses
They have been used by Bluebirds, nut hatches, chickadees, flying squirrels...
I put no finish inside but do put a couple coats of spar varnish on the outside. No perch needed.
Perches are used by predators and birds don’t need them.

Is this an ornamental house? I am pretty sure Hummingbirds don’t use boxes of any type but it could be something new to learn.

I have made a number of Bluebird size turned bird houses
They have been used by Bluebirds, nut hatches, chickadees, flying squirrels...
I put no finish inside but do put a couple coats of spar varnish on the outside. No perch needed.
Perches are used by predators and birds don’t need them.

Is this an ornamental house? I am pretty sure Hummingbirds don’t use boxes of any type but it could be something new to learn.

My wife does craft shows that means I tag along (do the setup) and sell a few things. I made some minature birdhouse Christmas ornaments and sever people asked if I had hummingbird houses. I see them on esty. Have no idea if hummingbirds really use them. She is doing another show in April, so though I would make some for booth fee.

Hummingbirds do not nest in houses/cavities. Probably started as a cute marketing name that somebody came up with for small ornamental houses. Wouldn't be surprised if some are selling them by saying they will attract hummingbirds.

Back