• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Humidity vs temp in freezer kiln

I finished my freezer kiln today. It has a temperature controller that turns on and off 2 40 watt bulbs to regulate the temp i set. It has a humidity controller that turns off and on a fan based on a humidity range i set.

Now i need a procedure to set each of these when i load it and as the wood is drying. Any thoughts on how best to maximize the efficiency of this kiln?

Thanks

Remember different woods dry differently....cherry very prone to cracking....need to do load of cherry by themself.....other woods can be mixed....take notes in each load....wood...temp....duration...etc

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
You will have to experiment a bit.

Keep track of the water coming out.

Removing water too fast will dry the wood too fast make it worse than sitting out in the open.
Set the temp for 70-80
Start off with an RH of 90 and gradually move it down to 40.
If little no water is comes out in a day, lower the
RH by 10.

EA0964E2-F47A-4E03-B588-DCFC9A097BF7.jpeg

Humidity will take care of itself as long as you do not promote too much air exchange, ie. manage inlet and outlet size. Control the temperature, starting at near ambient and gradually increasing. See my comments and chart in the other kiln thread that is currently coming up as well.

Back