• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

How Would You

On page 52 of the most recent American Woodturner Jerry Kermode illustrated how he made a heart. I email Jerry but did notice on his web site they're going through some changes and since I haven't heard I thought I'd ask here. How do you think he held the piece when he turned it? Faceplate would be my first thought. Anyone else have any other ideas?

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
When i did something similar after I turned the first side using my chuck I used a large wooden faceplate and hot glue to turn the other side. To align it I have an adaptor that lets me put my chuck in the tailstock and just pushed the piece still mounted on the chuck up against the faceplate and then applied hot glue. Be sure to put some.sort of finish on the piece or the hot glue is very hard to remove later.

Good question. Will wait for an answer. Liked the article plus the one making a hollow form from a board. Have several pecan boards.

Here's the reply I got from Jerry:
The faceplate I used for this heart actually has a 1" hole in the center, but if you are careful you can cut all of the way to the faceplate and the point of the heart and just touch the faceplate without damage to your gouge or plate. Do make sure you know where the mounting screws are and how long they are. I hope you make someone smile.
Happy turning, Jerry
Thank you Jerry, appreciate it very much.

Back