• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

How to Sharpen the HannesTool Gouges

Donna Banfield

TOTW Team
If you've visited other woodturning forums, you may have seen a thread or two in the past couple months about the latest gouge, HannesTool, which is JoHannes Michelsen's (the original wood turned hat maker) new line of gouges.

These are gouges with a grind that he has been using for as long as he's been turning, and are done free hand, without a jig. The tool steel is supplied by Doug Thompson, and Hannes' tools all come with a comfortable ergonomic grip. I learned how to use the tool and sharpen it when Hannes did a demo for one of my club's last fall. I signed up to take one of his 3-day workshops in his studio a couple months later.

Not wanting to lose that skill, I started using the tool on my bowls, and discovered that it worked quite well in a number of ways that were an improvement over the side grind bowl gouge. For example, I can do a shear cut on a bowl interior, using the lower cutting edge and the flute on it's side (facing the interior of the bow) without getting that awful divot when the edge catches.

Hannes posted a video on YouTube last month demonstrating how he takes a brand new gouge, and puts the grind on it. At about the same time, I completed filming a series on how to make a twice-turned bowl for expertvillage.com. I used the HannesTool gouges exclusively for this series. The clips are now appearing online, and the following 3 clips show how to sharpen the HannesTool gouges:

http://www.expertvillage.com/video/121124_using-woodturning-tools-hannes-gouge.htm

http://www.expertvillage.com/video/121125_sharpening-woodturning-tools-hannes-gouge.htm

http://www.expertvillage.com/video/121126_grinding-woodturning-tools-hannes-gouge.htm

To each his own, but I think I'll stick to my own hand sharpening method. Maybe it's just that I'm too old to try to learn some new truck. :cool2:

Ah, thanks for posting these. I have 3 of his gouges and a whole line of Dougs. I even broke down and bought one of Hannes 1" gouge. It's a friggin Monster. And I'm at a point I need to sharpen them and haven't for fear of messing them up. I knew I'd find someone who would post clips of the sharpening. Thanks!!!
Brian:cool2:

Ah, thanks for posting these. I have 3 of his gouges and a whole line of Dougs. I even broke down and bought one of Hannes 1" gouge. It's a friggin Monster. And I'm at a point I need to sharpen them and haven't for fear of messing them up. I knew I'd find someone who would post clips of the sharpening. Thanks!!!
Brian:cool2:

A major component of wood turning is tool sharpening. If you are new to turning, you should spend time learning to do this either on your own or with help from others. There are many ways to sharpen tools and they must have advantages and disadvantages as many of us end up employing different methods. This suggests that trying different methods is useful.

What ever method you ultimately end up using, it is important that your tools be very sharp.

Malcolm Smith.

I totally agree with you Malcolm. I am an excellent sharpener and have modified a few grinds on other gouges to fit my needs. Hannes grind is pretty unique though, at least when you look at it. After seeing how Donna did it it makes sense now. Not a sharpening method I would've thought of.
Brian

Back