• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

how to prevent catches.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I thought it would be nice to re-post this article that Lyle Jamieson wrote as part of our quest to serve the new turners.

Attachments

• AAWArticle-FearFactor-Winter06.pdf
    151.6 KB · Views: 802
Thanks John. Couldn't hurt for an "old" turner to review it. Might accidently learn something.

Y'know, maybe a half-page or more of a technique related to the production of a piece would be a worthwhile addition to the occasional article in the Journal. That way the whole article wouldn't have to be labeled for beginners. No need to create a separate column or label articles (or their target) that way.

Accidental learning comes from accidents. I'd rather learn vicariously. Not sure the article in question is going to prevent problems if those first two confusing illustrations are followed.

Last edited:
Catches

John,
Thanks for posting this article. I think you have many good ideas about what should be included in the Journal. Keep at it!:D

BTW, I am moving this thread to How To's for better visibility.

Last edited:
I read the article and went back and looked at my bowl gouges and discovered that my own grind had actually morphed from Ellsworth's into Jamieson's. Mostly because I like long wings. It also occured to me that this might be the root cause of a problem - I like to use the gouge in sheer scrape position on the outside of a bowl and very gradually I've found myself using the gouge almost upside down. I'm going to have to shift the angle I grind the wings at to correct for that. The article helped me think that through.

Marc

I thought it would be nice to re-post this article that Lyle Jamieson wrote as part of our quest to serve the new turners.

Y'know, maybe a half-page or more of a technique related to the production of a piece would be a worthwhile addition to the occasional article in the Journal. That way the whole article wouldn't have to be labeled for beginners. No need to create a separate column or label articles (or their target) that way.

Accidental learning comes from accidents. I'd rather learn vicariously. Not sure the article in question is going to prevent problems if those first two confusing illustrations are followed.

And the captions for "Safe" and "Risky" are the same. What's a person to do?

Back