• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

How to build a kiln

I wanted to build a kiln and a storage cabinet for my waxes and finishes that were temperature controlled. So, I figured as long as I was at it, go for one of each. Basically they are the same animal.
1.) Scrounge up 2 old fridges (Craig's List or curbside)
2.) Buy 2 of those little electric heaters that are for small rooms (about $20). They are cheap to run, and have good thermostats.
3.) Buy 4 3" or 4" round screened vents, (got mune for under a buck each at Ace Hardware)
4.) Cut 4 4" or 5" discs from thin plywood or similar stuff.
5.) Use a metal-cutting hole saw and cut holes at the top side of the main compartment all the way thru to the interior, and the bottom center of the door, to fit the vents into. I used Gorilla glue to weld them in place.
6.) Drill a 3/16" hole just inside one side of the discs, and a 1/8" hole in the outside beside the vents, and install with sheet metal screws, thus creating a sliding (or is it rolling) cover to control draft in and out.
7.) Cut a notch out of the bottom of the door gasket for the heater power cord, and set the heater in on the bottom floor.
8.) Drill a hole clear thru the front door to slide the thermometer in, and use Gorilla glue here.
That's about it...I have my finish/wax storage set at 70F, and I can set the kiln at any temp., and be able to put a pan of water inside for humidity control, and further control with the draft ports. Simple and cheap, and works very well. I have these set outside my shop under a lean-to.:cool2:

Last edited:
Website
gallery.me.com
Any Updates?

Don;
How are they working for you? Any revisions you would make ? I like the idea of the temperature controlled finish and glue storage. My shop is only heated while I am turning, so it is often near freezing.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I just went out and bought a steel cabinet. I put 1/2" foam on the walls and drilled some holes in the shelves to let the air circulate. I put a 60 watt bulb in the bottom and the thermostat and thermometer in the top. Properly adjusted it keeps all my chemicals and paints at 60 degrees. Since my shop is often as cold as 40 or less this has really saved me time and money.

Back