• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Home Made Tools

I made a couple tool handles this weekend and used some HSS tool blanks I purchased from EBAY to make a couple tools for myself. The first I made is a small point tool made from 8mm x 200mm round bar.

image.jpeg

On Saturday I made a bedan from a 12mm x 12mm x 200 mm bar.

image.jpeg

Both came out pretty decently. I even used the point too to make the lines on the bedan and was able to use the bedan while rough turning a couple cherry bowls later in the day (crisping up the tenon).

It was a very fun project for me and I find myself wanting to make more tools. Curious what other tools people have made for themselves using HSS blanks. I have plans to make a scraper but that's about all I have in mind now since I already have a parting tool. What have you made?

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I make a.lot of tools out of both Hss and high carbon steel. The advantage of High Carbon steel is you can get it in more sizes. I use it for tools that don't get a lot of use. Well I do make my ornament hollowing tools out of HCS just because it's faster and after I harden them they hold an edge for a respectable amount of time. You can make some smaller tools by brazing or silver soldering HSS onto regular steel bars. I wrote an article for American Woodturner about 12 to 15 years ago on making your own tools using files. I show how to anneal, heat treat and temper the steel using inexpensive tools. You can search American Woodturner archives under my name to find it if your interested.

Scrapers are pretty straightforward to make, but the benefit of making your own turning tools really develops when you start playing around with your turning, pushing your envelope. Personally, I like to make whatever new thing I have seen demonstrated at a symposium as soon as I get home. Many of the well known demonstrators have a favorite tool they use, and which someone will want to sell you at a premium. Some of those tools can be homemade instead and you can try out the expert's method. If you don't like it after all, you're out very little money, and the tool may be converted to the next.

So I've made hook tools, ornament hollowers, teeny tools out of concrete nails, negative rake scrapers of all shapes and sizes, a side cutting negative rake scraper, a really pointy fluteless gouge, and something similar to your pyramid/point tool. A small negative rake scraper that I use to make exactly the right side angle on tenons I use all the time.

For people just starting out, I would strongly recommend getting and learning with the basic, ordinary, conventional tools. When you are proficient with them and you want to do something exotic or different or just like the pro you just saw, then making tools can expand your repertoire. Unlike golf, skill isn't in that expensive new tool, it's in the turner gaining experience and muscle memory. Though I really love Cindy Drozda's sign: onetoolfromgreatness.JPG
(Also I think Cindy is pretty terrific)

Last edited:
Back