• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Home Made Hollower

John Van Domelen

Retired Forum Admin
Links

Nice job on the hollowing tool.

BTW - many of the links on page two of your page do not work - I was looking for the Saturn Box pdf - its gone?!

Website
www.token.crwoodturner.com
The link you gave opens OK in Mozilla Firefox but none of the links on the page will open, it works OK in MS IE.

Same with me. That's why I'm not a big fan of Microsoft!
All grumbling aside, I opened Internet Explorer in LInux and found the pdf article to be well worth the download. Great idea, thanks Capt. Eddie!
To the How-to subforum this goes! :)

Last edited:
I've made a home made hollowing tool using proven technology. If you are interested in making your own, check out www.bayouwoodturners.com/capsnotebook.htm
I'm not interested in making or selling these tools or the attachments. Please read all the cautions and use with care.

Thanks for all the great tips, but many of the links on your second page are broken. Here is an example:
http://www.bayouwoodturners.com/August uploads/BandSawCircleJig.pdf

Could you possibly correct the problem links or perhaps post the correct links here?

links repaired

I've had a few problems since changing computers for the website. I've just repaired the link to an article on the circle jig, this is one handy gizmo. I made my first from an article in wood magazine.
Sorry about the problems

circle cutting jig link does not work for me

Hi Captain Eddie.
FYI: I cannot get the links on your page two to work.
I particularly wanted the circle cutting jig, given the bandsaw blade touched :eek: my finger nail 2 weeks ago while cutting a circle. (Thank god for finger nails!)

The page says it is under repair and to be patient. I'm trying.
Ann

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
thanks capt E! I'm gathering the parts now to make this. Been looking for an articulated system I could build and you make it look pretty simple!...Bill...

Laser

I've added details on how to add a laser to the tool. It uses a B-B gun laser sight. Go to www.bayouwoodturners.com and look for the link at the top of the page. It requires a little welding, but it's doable.
The B-B gun laser sight is noted there, but there are others available which will work by BSA and others. You want one which will grab onto the barrel.
Good luck.

Tools used with rig.

I'm receiving PMs about what tools I use with the rig. I designed it to use an ellsworth type rig. I make my own and they do quite well. I've added a Hunter rig in both sizes and like it a lot. I then put in a Kelton scraper end in it to clean up the tracks.
I've turned open shapes with the hunter and kelton and got nice results. I'd rather make 1-2-3 passes with the right gouge for a bowl. But I practice hollowing on open pieces with students so they understand what is going in inside the piece.

Back