1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. ATTENTION FORUM MEMBERS!

Guest, if you have not yet updated your forum bookmark to a secure log in connection, please delete your unsecure book and add the following secure bookmark: https://www.aawforum.org/community/index.php

You can dismiss this notice by clicking the X in the upper right of the notice box.

Dismiss Notice

Holly wood

Discussion in 'Woodturning Discussion Forum' started by Fred Belknap, Jun 6, 2020.

1. Fred Belknap

Fred Belknap

Location (City & State):
    Gassaway, WV
    Home Page:
    I have a couple of holly logs from a neighbor yard. I was wondering if I needed any special drying and finishing procedures. The green wood turned nicely.

2. hockenbery

hockenbery AAW Advisor Staff Member

Location (City & State):
    Lakeland, Florida
    Home Page:
    My suggestion is to turn it soon.
    When I tried keeping Holly in a half logs for longer than a few weeks it would get blue stain.
    NE Bowls and HFS never got blue stain and roughed out bowls for drying seemed to avoid it too.

regarding finishing. You want the white... a water based poly will keep the white.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
    charlie knighton likes this.
  3. Jeff Jackson

Jeff Jackson

Location (City & State):
    Bremerton WA
    What has worked so far for me is to is boiling the green wood after it has been sawed into blanks. I'm no scientist, but it seems to release the bound water in the wood because the water turns into a deep green. When I pull the blanks out the outside of the wood is green but the inside is white (and I've compared them to one's that weren't boiled).
    I've also been told that holly cut in the fall and winter have less discoloration due to sap content.

4. Fred Belknap

Fred Belknap

Location (City & State):
    Gassaway, WV
    Home Page:
    Thanks guys. It is in a trailer in the dry and covered with a plastic tarp. So far no blue stain.