1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. ATTENTION FORUM MEMBERS!

Guest, if you have not yet updated your forum bookmark to a secure log in connection, please delete your unsecure book and add the following secure bookmark: https://www.aawforum.org/community/index.php

You can dismiss this notice by clicking the X in the upper right of the notice box.

Dismiss Notice

Hollowing tool question. Scorp, Termite???

Discussion in 'Woodturning Discussion Forum' started by Arthur Crozier, Sep 6, 2020.

1. Arthur Crozier

Arthur Crozier

Location (City & State):
    East St Paul, Manitoba, Canada
    I was at a local farmers market and they were demonstrating woodturning. One of the demonstrators showed me a hollowing tool that looked like a small 1/4” ring scorp. He said it was his favourite hollowing tool. I have found something called a termite, and also a “Deep Hollowing Tool” from Lee Valey that work on the same principal of what he showed me. Neither of these were like his hollowing tool. His tool had the shape of a small scorp and I don’t think it was a carbide tip.

Could anyone tell me what this tool may have been?

If you know what it is have you used one and what was your opinion of the tool?

Thanks for any assistance.

2. hockenbery

hockenbery AAW Advisor Staff Member

Location (City & State):
    Lakeland, Florida
    Home Page:
    The termite is an excellent ring tool.

ring tools and hook tools can be use to cut from the bottom of an opening to the rim.
    This makes them ideal for hollowing open forms in end graIn - goblets, boxes, vases etc.

Could it have been a hook tool?
    this is one Hosulak sells
    F6E6A406-2E40-4807-AE31-0ECDD2669B0A.jpeg

3. Arthur Crozier

Arthur Crozier

Location (City & State):
    It was a complete ring about 1/4” in diameter that was part of a chisel with a about a 10” metal shaft and 12” handle. The outside was slightly convex, and the interior was tapered from both sides so you could sharpen both edges of the ring. I believe the slight convex outside would allow you to ride it like a bevel without the potential of bruising the wood. He said you sharpen it from the inside with a cone shaped stone. The metal ring was not very thick similar to a scorp. The ring was centred on the shaft. He said it was very friendly and not prone to catches. Because it formed a complete ring he said it worked well on the bottom and sides of a turning.

I had never seen anything like it before. I thought it was a ring tool but I haven’t had much luck finding a website that showed this tool.

It sounds like the termite would be worth investing in.

Thanks for the information.

4. Glenn Lefley

Glenn Lefley

Location (City & State):
    Invermere, British Columbia
    One way termite 7970AB24-AA87-49CE-980A-224F2C4B0F59.png

Arthur Crozier likes this.
  5. john lucas

john lucas AAW Forum Expert

Location (City & State):
    Cookeville TN USA
    Probably a hook tool. I have and occasionally use both the hook tools and termite. I much prefer the Hunter Cupped Carbide tools. They don't need to be sharpened. I will use the Viceroy or Hercules flat to waste away wood and then use them as bevel rubbing tools to leave a fine finish. I got tired of sharpening the other tools.

6. Dennis Weiner

Dennis Weiner

Location (City & State):
    New City, NY
    I find the ring tool and the straight hook tool both cut similarly. IMHO, If I was to own only one, it would be the hook because the shavings clear better.

Tim Tucker and Arthur Crozier like this.
  7. hockenbery

hockenbery AAW Advisor Staff Member

Location (City & State):
    Lakeland, Florida
    Home Page:
    Your ring tool description is very much like a termite. It comes with a cone to sharpen it with.
    i put my cone in a dedicated $10 harbor freight air tool die grinder.
    This greatly simplifies sharpen over ONEWAYs instructions for sharpening the termite.
    I just hold the tool in one hand and the die grinder in the other, press the cone into the opening and hit the paddle on the die grinder for a second. Flip the tool and repeat to sharpen the other side.

Dustin Cook and Arthur Crozier like this.
  8. Arthur Crozier

Arthur Crozier

Location (City & State):
    Glenn that looks like it. I thought it was welded onto the end of the shaft but being replaceable is even better.

Thanks everyone for pointing me in the right direction. and for providing suggestions and options,

I will also look into Johns suggestions.

9. Arthur Crozier

Arthur Crozier

Location (City & State):
    The picture I found online of what I thought was a termite was not clear and it looked like a scraper.

10. Arthur Crozier

Arthur Crozier

Location (City & State):
    Does the termite and hook tools work equally well on side grain and end grain?

11. Emiliano Achaval

Emiliano Achaval Administrator Staff Member

Location (City & State):
    Maui, Hawaii
    Home Page:
    I hear you, that's probably the reason I levitated away from the Termite, constant clogging. I bought it probably 20 years ago. I second John Lucas, HUnter tools are exceptional for end grain turning, no clogging at all.

Tim Tucker likes this.
  12. john lucas

Location (City & State):
    Cookeville TN USA
    The termite and hook tools are used as bevel.rubbing tools and wework just as well.on side grain. They excell.on end grain.

13. Bob Sheppard

Bob Sheppard

Location (City & State):
    Wanaque, NJ
    I can't answer about a hook tool, but the Termite does a great job on end grain. I love it for hollowing goblets and similar projects

14. Arthur Crozier

Arthur Crozier

Location (City & State):
    I have been checking out YouTube videos on both ring and hook tools. I came across a couple of videos on how to make theses tools out of bearing races. The ring tool in the video was about an inch in diameter. It didn’t get clogged but the ring was centred on the shaft so I would think the torque would want to spin the tool in your hand. After watching the videos I was thinking of making a hook and a ring tool since I have a few old bearings kicking around. Has anyone tried making their own? If so was it difficult to determine the best angle of the bevel based on the offset from the centre of the shaft?

Another option would be to offset the ring and hook to be more centred on the shaft to reduce torque.

Having never used these tools I am analyzing the ones I have found online. I imagine the small termite rings would not have much torque and the offset on the hooks would naturally find the bevel based on their design and have a tendency to reduce torque by having the cutting edge closer to the verticals centre of the shaft when floating on the bevel.

Why not just buy one you ask... I like to be creative, I have lots of steel around, and I love to try new things. The benefit of being retired... lots of time to try new adventures.

15. john lucas

Location (City & State):
    Cookeville TN USA
    Ring tools.and hook tools dont have any real torque. At least not the commercial tools.or my home made ones. The cut happens out near the tip.

16. Don Wattenhofer

Don Wattenhofer

Location (City & State):
    Ponsford, MN
    I would recommend buying a termite tip only and then mount on your own shaft. The standard termite tool has a shaft that is about 1/2" diameter so if you get too far from the tool rest it starts to chatter. The Woodcut is another tip that can benefit from a heaver shaft/handle. The idea to make a ring tool from a bearing race was something that I tried about 20 years ago but it didn't work out very well. The ring tool works best at an angle of about the 7:00 position but never ever at the 3/9 o'clock position. The photo shows the Termite tool and my handle then the woodcut tip on my handle and the WoodCut handle. The handle for the ring tool tip is made from 1" drill rod tapered down to about 1/2" and the woodcut tip is mounted on a hay fork tine about 1 1/8" tapered down as shown. The handles I made are about 4' long.
    DSC00679.jpg

17. Arthur Crozier

Arthur Crozier

Location (City & State):
    Those look very professional. Thanks for the advice. Does the size of the Termite bit affect clogging.

18. Don Wattenhofer

Don Wattenhofer

Location (City & State):
    Ponsford, MN
    The termite bits will clog especially in green wood if you take an aggressive cut.

19. Paul Gilbert

Paul Gilbert

Location (City & State):
    Dallas, TX
    Allen Lacer has a DVD devoted exclusively to making your own hook tools. He takes you through the process from forming the hook, tempering it and sharpening it. The DVD is titled "Woodturning Shopmade Tools and jigs" I forgot that it has a lot more than just hook tools. I just dug it out and will have to take another look at it.

20. Don Wattenhofer

Don Wattenhofer

Location (City & State):
    Ponsford, MN
    Many years ago after Allen moved to Minnesota he did a demo for the MN wood turners assoc. and we all made our own hook tools using water hardening drill rod. The tool works but they don't hold an edge as well as High Speed steel. Mike Hosuluk was selling a HS hook tool that works well but I don't know if he still sells them.

21. GRJensen

GRJensen

Location (City & State):
    Bay Settlement, WI
    Yes ... Michael Hosuluk's hook tools are available through the Woodturning Tool Store. Our local AAW chapter had Alan Lacer for an all-day demo and 2 days of classes a couple of years ago ... great opportunity to spend so much time with a true master!