• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Hole in Jet 14" stock tool rest - why?

Randy Anderson

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Website
www.etsy.com
If you look at the Jet 14" stock tool rest there is a 3/16" hole drilled through it a few inches to the left of the post center line. I know trivial but is there a purpose for it? Some option I don't know about that uses it? Alignment for the mfg process maybe? I've looked online and they all have it but nothing in the manual as to why.

Attachments

• IMG_4532.JPG
    IMG_4532.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 112

Randy Anderson

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Website
www.etsy.com
All the way through. No threads. The countless hours in front of this thing and thousands of times I've handled it and I just noticed it a few days ago.

Last edited:

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I think I read one time that it is used for painting the rest. My Powermatic rests also have a hole.

Same little hole, PM3520A circa early 2000. I asked years ago and got the shoulder shrug and maybe it was to hang the rest for finishing.
I was hoping for something a little more useful for us as turners...

Hole ?.jpeg

RichColvin

Super Moderator
Staff member
OTI Member
Website
www.colvintools.com
If you look at the Jet 14" stock tool rest there is a 3/16" hole drilled through it a few inches to the left of the post center line. I know trivial but is there a purpose for it? Some option I don't know about that uses it? Alignment for the mfg process maybe? I've looked online and they all have it but nothing in the manual as to why.

I wondered why there are slots on the side of the banjo on my PowerMatic 3520B. When I was at one AAW conference, I asked the PowerMatic rep. They told me it was for an option to hold a vacuum attachment (which is no longer available from PowerMatic).

You can call their support line: they are really good, or ask them when you go to the next AAW conference in the post-COVID era.

Rich

Back