• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

HoldFast Hint

Website
www.ralphandellen.us
I recently decided to replace my "home brew" (and often failing) thru-head adapter. After some catalog "shopping" I settled on the HoldFast.

When I got the HoldFast, I decided that it wasn't quite right either, I wanted a nut and washer on the out-board side, to hold the assembly tight (I didn't want to cut the tube to length).

A quick look at the tube suggested that it was threaded at 3/8-fine. Since I didn't have an 3/8-24 nuts, next trip to town..

Well, when I tired to put the nut on, I quickly figured out it's not threaded at 24.
Maybe it's a 10mm... a quick check with my only 10mm nuts showed its not 1.5mm. Maybe 1.0mm.

Only this time I got out my tap&die set and used the thread gauges...

Turns out the shaft is not 1.0mm, nor 1.5 mm, nor 24 tpi, not 28 tpi, but rather 27 tpi (ie NTP thread).

So... I grabbed a 3/8-24 nut and re-threaded it at 27.

I have a tight fit with the HoldFast adapter and can draw up to about 25 inches of vacuum

TTFN
Ralph

ralph,
I ran into a similar delema when I purchesed the same adapter, I found that the rod is a lamp rod and found nuts and couplings to fit the thread in the elecrical dept of home depot.

IAN

Back